Anderson, LaVine formally declare for NBA Draft

By Eileen Tran

After making their intentions to declare for the NBA draft clear following UCLA men’s basketball’s exit from the NCAA tournament, Kyle Anderson and Zach LaVine made things official Wednesday.

Anderson, a sophomore guard/forward, received first-team All-Pac-12 and third-team AP All-American honors this season, averaging 14.6 points, 8.8 rebounds and 6.5 assists per game.

“I’ve said time and again that Kyle was the best point guard in the country this past season,” said coach Steve Alford in the press release. “I firmly believe Kyle will have a long and productive NBA career and everyone involved with UCLA basketball wishes him the best.”

Anderson currently sits at No. 27 on ESPN.com’s NBA draft analyst Chad Ford’s Big Board, and Ford said Anderson could be drafted anywhere from No. 10 to No. 35.

LaVine, a freshman guard, had one of the hottest starts to the season of any Bruin, but his production trailed off during Pac-12 play. He finished the season averaging 9.4 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game coming off the bench, and was named to the Pac-12 All-Freshman team.

“I will forever be proud to call myself a Bruin and will never forget the memories that were made here,” LaVine said in the release. “I truly can’t wait for this next chapter in my life, and again thank everyone for all their support.”

While LaVine didn’t match Anderson’s statistical success this season, he has a chance to be taken higher in the draft. Given LaVine’s youth and athleticism, Ford said some scouts have him as a lottery pick; Ford ranks him No. 13 on his Big Board.

“It has been exciting to see Zach develop from the time he first set foot on campus at UCLA to where he is today,” Alford said in the release. “Zach has only begun to scratch the surface of his potential and has an extremely bright future ahead of
him.”

Compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Eileen Tran