UCLA rowing invigorated by win against LMU

By

Coming out to the races with bright smiles and oozing confidence, the UCLA rowing team celebrated more than just a landslide victory against Loyola Marymount University.

This weekend UCLA raced in the 2000-meter race for the first time this season, leaving the waters of Marina Del Rey victorious in its last home meet. The senior Bruins left their final home race with reinvigorated confidence for the upcoming meets. The first varsity eight rowed its fastest time this season at 6:24.90.

“Today went really well and we are moving towards where we want to be. The season is long, but it is short. It starts off and suddenly it is finished,” said senior first varsity rower Meaghan Volker. “So I think for right now we’re moving in the right direction. We’re definitely coming together a lot as a crew and we have been practicing a lot on making sure we are rowing together.”

In a memorable race, the Bruins were able to compare themselves with another crew. During the meet, UCLA (1V8: 6:24.90, 2V8: 6:27.40) was clearly faster than LMU (V8: 6:54.10); however, the victory was more than just beating LMU. Rather, the victory came from the time that the second varsity eight achieved: 6:27.40, which is extremely close to the first varsity eight’s time.

“Our margin between (the second varsity eight) and the (first) varsity (eight) was really close and that’s a great sign for the second varsity eight,” said senior second varsity stroke Carolina Paini.

The times achieved by the first varsity and second varsity proved how much effort the Bruins put into the meet. Having this meet against LMU stand as a test of their team work, speed and past training, coach Amy Fuller Kearney said she could not have been happier with where the team stands.

“I couldn’t be happier for how things are going right now. For March 15, we are right on track and getting good speed at low rate. Gives us a good starting place and a place to improve to,” Fuller Kearney said.

It was not only the varsity eight teams that were fast in their performances against LMU, but also the varsity four teams. UCLA’s first varsity four came in at 7:32.90 and the second varsity four at 7:36.40, compared with LMU’s varsity four coming in at 8:01.60.

The Bruins look forward to the next three weeks that they have before the San Diego Crew Classic. They have seen improvement, but they have to get ready by continuously improving.

“Overall, really impressed with the team today,” Fuller Kearney said. “So much more cohesive out there … I couldn’t (have asked) for more for March 15.