Monday, September 23

Sigma Nu under investigation, ceases social activities

The UCLA Sigma Nu chapter has ceased its social activities while the national Sigma Nu fraternity reviews a report alleging hazing from past years. (Christopher Hoo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

The national Sigma Nu fraternity has instructed its UCLA chapter to cease all of its social activities after alleged violations of its fraternity policies.

A current member of the UCLA Sigma Nu chapter, who asked to remain anonymous, said Sigma Nu officials are reviewing a report that refers to alleged hazing incidents dating from fall quarter 2011 to winter quarter 2013.

Brad Beacham, the executive director of the national Sigma Nu fraternity, said the national board received the report of alleged violations about 10 days ago and is still investigating the claims. Beacham said UCLA’s chapter has not been shut down, but members cannot engage in any fraternity activities until the review process is complete.

The member of the UCLA Sigma Nu chapter said the fraternity can no longer hold social events while the report is under review, but members can still hold weekly meetings.

We’re not overly concerned,” he said. “This is very standard procedure.”

Beacham said national representatives are working with UCLA and alumni representatives to further investigate the report. The process for reviewing the report may take up to two or three more weeks to complete.

“We are dedicated to upholding the principles and policies of our fraternity, and we expect our members to do the same,” Beacham said.

Mande Adams, the Interfraternity Council adviser for UCLA, is out of town and could not be reached for comment.

Compiled by Yael Levin, Bruin senior staff.

• Stupid

Must’ve been a Let’s Act! member. And this is why you don’t let any of them in your house– beware.

• Shaking my head

How those two connect makes absolutely no sense. But election season, all logic out the window. #typical

• What A Joke

Frats are for losers and sorority girls are very slu.tty!