Loss does not dampen UCLA swim and dive’s prep for championship

By Nathaniel Liebes

Before the last dual meet of her career, senior freestyle swimmer Ting Quah was honored by the UCLA swim and dive team with playing the national anthem of her home nation Singapore before the Star- Spangled Banner.

This change in tradition to honor Quah was one that set the tone early in the day that this meet would be a very emotional one. It was against a rival and would be the last time a group of seniors swam in front of home fans.

“That meant a lot. My parents couldn’t be here to present me at this meet, but it has really cemented the fact that this team is like a second family to me,” Quah said. “Today just felt like every swim it wasn’t just about myself anymore but I was swimming for something bigger than myself.”

Despite some good performances by the seniors, the final result of the meet was a loss.

No. 16 UCLA swim and dive ended its dual meet schedule with a home loss to No. 2 USC 165-135, which was Quah’s and all the other seniors’ last dual meet as Bruins.

The meet began with a ceremony to honor the seniors that featured them being ushered in by family members and close relatives.

While Quah’s parents could not be in attendance, the meet featured strong support from the seniors’ parents who were in attendance along with other Bruin athletes including gymnasts, football players and water polo players.

There were many people who were supporting both schools as well. A common outfit among fans was a UCLA hat with a USC shirt or visa versa.

The players tried to use the crowd support to help push them forward. The crowd was especially helpful in guiding senior diver Paulina Guzman to victory in the 1-meter competition.

“It didn’t feel like a meet at all. We had a lot of people in the stands and it was really loud which helped me calm down and have more fun,” Guzman said.

This meet, although the last dual meet of the seniors’ career, will not be their last competition with UCLA.

Coming up will be the Pac-12 and NCAA championships. The Bruins said they feel confident for the postseason.

“I feel really prepared for Pac-12s now after this meet,” Guzman said. “It went way better than I thought it would and I think our team looks great and are ready to dominate over there.”

Senior freestyle swimmer Lauren Baker felt as if Monday’s meet will help the team in Pac-12 and NCAA championships. In fact, because of its performance on Monday, the 200m freestyle relay team will participate in NCAA championships.

“I think we have a lot of momentum now going into Pac-12s and NCAAs. We had some great swims today,” Baker said.

Nathaniel Liebes