LaVine back on his game and leads bench in revitalizing offensive game

After scoring less than 10 points in four of his last five games, freshman Zach LaVine broke out of his slump with 19 points on Sunday against Arizona State.

By Kevin Bowman

The crowd was on its feet before it even happened. As freshman guard Zach LaVine galloped ahead of the pack and received a pass, fans at Pauley Pavilion got loud in anticipation of what was next. LaVine conducted them to a crescendo by unwinding a thunderous windmill jam.

After an extended slump in which he had eclipsed the 10-point mark just once in the previous five games, LaVine got his groove back Sunday night in UCLA men’s basketball’s game against Arizona State, finishing with 19 points on 8-of-12 shooting. Despite LaVine’s cold stretch, coach Steve Alford said the freshman never got down on himself and was still brimming with aggression and confidence heading into Sunday’s game.

“That’s one thing Zach doesn’t do. He doesn’t get frustrated,” Alford said. “He’s a very confident kid that’s why he’s fun to coach.”

One group helping LaVine’s confidence is his teammates, who gave him advice for how to deal with the adversity that everyone feels at some point each season.

“We let him know early in the season … that, ‘You’re gonna hit a funk, it’s gonna happen. You just gotta get in the gym late at night and get your rhythm back going,’ and I think he got it back today,” said sophomore guard/forward Kyle Anderson after Sunday’s 87-72 win.

LaVine took the advice and said he put up 500 shots a day for the past week. The extra practice paid off as LaVine calmly swished in his first shot of the night a deep 3-pointer.

“Being a scorer, hitting your first shot is pivotal,” LaVine said.

Bench brigade

No. 25 UCLA’s bench group continued to have a large impact on the game, contributing 35 points on Sunday. But beyond just the points, the Bruins’ backups provided a jolt of energy to a lackadaisical-looking starting lineup that was trailing the Sun Devils 12-6 when the subs checked in. The bench group quickly helped UCLA (13-3, 2-1 Pac-12) flip the switch, getting the Bruins started on what would become a 35-9 run that essentially put the game out of reach in the first half.

But beyond what Alford called a “change of tempo,” what allows the team to be successful when LaVine and freshman guard Bryce Alford check in is a switch to a four guard lineup that includes a combination of LaVine, Alford, Anderson, sophomore guard Jordan Adams and junior guard Norman Powell.

“That four guard lineup when we do sub has been very explosive. They’re getting better defensively, but I really like the energy,” Steve Alford said. “It’s probably our best offensive lineup and they’re improving defensively. But they bring a lot of athleticism, a lot of energy, a lot of toughness.”

The energy was immediately evident Sunday, as the four guard lineup propelled the Bruins on a 14-0 run, something Alford called a common theme for his bench unit. Key to that unit’s success has been their ability to buy into the team concept and be willing to have a somewhat lesser role than the starters.

“Coming off the bench is some of the most exciting players in the country right now,” LaVine said. “Everybody’s talking about the UCLA freshmen. So it’s a little different, but just accept your role and most of all we’re just trying to look for dubs.”

Kevin Bowman | Alumnus