ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen to open Tuesday

ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen will open Tuesday in Westwood Village on Broxton Avenue.

By Harman Basra

Dec. 9, 2013 2:41 a.m.

ShopHouse Southeast Asian Kitchen will open Tuesday on Broxton Avenue.

The chain restaurant will open next door to Five Guys Burgers and Fries, said Tim Wildin, director of concept development for ShopHouse.

Founded and developed by Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc., ShopHouse is meant to emulate Chipotle’s concept of serving food quicklyin an open kitchen, Wildin said.

The ShopHouse in Westwood will be the restaurant’s third location in Los Angeles, with other locations in Santa Monica and Hollywood. Wildin could not provide any information about the cost of the Westwood project.

ShopHouse will serve cuisines from Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore and Malaysia, Wildin said. Customers will be able to create their own dishes by picking from ingredients such as jasmine rice and chilled rice noodles, grilled chicken satay and green papaya slaw. The dishes will cost about $6 to $7 each, Wildin said.

The name ShopHouse originated in Southeast Asia, Wildin said.

“Shophouses are the timeworn, old buildings, where families live upstairs and downstairs they run a restaurant,” Wildin said.

He added that he and the ShopHouse team of chefs went to shophouses in Thailand and Singapore to experience local cuisines.

Wildin said he thinks Westwood is an ideal location for the next ShopHouse because of its proximity to UCLA.

Compiled by Harman Basra, Bruin contributor.

Harman Basra