UCLA men’s soccer anticipates tough playoff matchup with UConn

UCLA men’s soccer made quick work of Elon in last Sunday’s 4-0 victory but expects a tougher match Sunday against Connecticut.

By Derrek Li

The Bruins enjoyed smooth sailing on the field last game on Sunday night against Elon. But in the third round of the NCAA tournament, the UCLA men’s soccer team expects choppier waters.

After defeating Elon 4-0 in a game that was never in question, top-seeded UCLA will host the University of Connecticut on Sunday in the third round of the playoffs.

Although No. 1 UCLA (12-3-4) is the clear favorite over No. 10 UConn (12-2-7), senior defender Joe Sofia knows that this game probably won’t be as easy as the last.

“UConn is going to be a very tough team,” Sofia said. “Every single round we move forward is going to get tougher from here as we move on, so we’ll be prepared.”

With every round being single-elimination in the NCAA tournament, a single misstep could spell a disappointing end for the Bruins and their hopes for a national championship.

“It’s crazy, it’s weird,” said senior forward Victor Chavez. “One game and you’re out; it’s a win-or-die situation. The knockout stage is fun – I actually like it.”

Last year, UCLA was stunned in the second round. Even though the Bruins have now passed the point where their season ended last time in the playoffs, they are not satisfied.

Rather, they’re still looking for any small improvements that can help them make a strong run in the tournament.

“I still think we can play better,” said coach Jorge Salcedo. “I still think we can be sharper with the ball, and we have to be against UConn. UConn is a very good team; they have one of the top goalkeepers in the country and a lot of dynamic players.”

While UCLA and UConn have not seen each other this season, Salcedo said the team knows more about the Huskies than it did about Elon.

In the third round, there is a mandatory tape exchange so that each team can study up on game film from the second-round games.

UConn got to the third round by taking out No. 5 UMBC in a penalty-kick shootout behind a strong performance from American Athletic Conference goalkeeper of the year, junior Andre Blake.

The Bruins did not have as hard a road up to this point in the playoffs, but they know that it’s only just getting started.

“We know every playoff game is going to be a great game,” Chavez said. “Every team comes out with everything, so we’re going to prepare in the week and do our best to be well prepared for UConn.”

Derrek Li | Alumnus
Li joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field, cross country and swim and dive beats.