UCLA students granted True Bruin Distinguished Senior Award

The True Bruin Distinguished Senior Award was awarded to five UCLA students this October.

By Jennifer Crane

The True Bruin Distinguished Senior Award – funded by the Alumni Scholarship Program and given to meritorious seniors who have demonstrated True Bruin values – was awarded to five UCLA students this October.

The students each received a $5,000 scholarship. They were chosen from more than 200 applicants by alumni donors and volunteers, said Ann Wang, the coordinator of the scholarship.

The recipients, all fourth-years, include business economics student Jeremy Reynard, biology student Mericien Venzon,political science student Rebecca Sadwick, economics and political science student Carey Appeldorn and molecular, cell and developmental biology student Daniel Wong.

Reynard and Appeldorn have been close friends since freshman year and are currently roommates, Reynard said.

The two decided to apply to the scholarship,although they thought the chances of them both winning it was slim, Reynard said.

Appeldorn said he applied to the scholarship for the financial award and the network of alumni. “The recognition will continue to move me forward,” Appeldorn said. “Having that network of alumni that have been engaged in the scholarship will provide a great system of networks for any academic pursuits I plan to attend.”

Venzon plans to use the scholarship to attend a conference in Australia that will assist her in her research with macro-evolution, she said.

“The conference will help me think about my research and stay motivated,” Venzon said.

Wong said the funds will assist him and his parents with tuition for the rest of this year.

The scholarship is meant to allow students to reflect on who they are and the effects UCLA has had on them, Sadwick said.

“It is a great way to see how True Bruin values have impacted your growth and development throughout your years here, Sadwick said. “(The scholarship) expands your networks and way of thinking.”

Jennifer Crane