UCLA midfielder becomes No. 1 goal-scorer after transition to offense

After earning first-team All-Pac-12 honors last season, junior midfielder Leo Stolz has taken his game to a new level this season, scoring five goals in the first 11 games after scoring no goals all of last season. Stolz points to his position change as the reason behind his success.

By Derrek Li

Throughout practices and games, Leo Stolz hears his name called out more often than any other player on the UCLA men’s soccer team. Whenever he has the ball, which is often, Stolz is constantly attacking and probing the defense.

But the junior midfielder wasn’t always the center of attention on the soccer field. For nearly all of his soccer career, Stolz has lined up as a defensive midfielder.

Last year, his first at UCLA after transferring from George Mason University, Stolz did not have a single goal, but did rank 30th in the nation with eight assists. This year, 11 games into the season, Stolz is tied with senior forward Victor Chavez as UCLA’s top goal-scorer, each with five apiece.

“I’m playing in a more attacking position, and that’s all it really is,” Stolz said. “I really haven’t changed my style of play; I’m in a more advanced position and have more chances to score.”

Stolz has coach Jorge Salcedo to thank for this change in his career. Salcedo said that he liked the skill set Stolz brought to the field which, prior to the start of the season, prompted his decision to display Stolz more prominently on offense.

“It’s a credit to him that in his whole life he’s been asked to do certain things on the soccer field – now he has to change his role and mentality,” Salcedo said. “But he has the skill set and the ability to make plays that are attacking plays, plays that are dynamic plays that leads to goals, and plays that he scores goals with.”

While transitioning from a position that he’s been playing since a he was little kid can be jarring, Stolz has shown an ability to thrive despite change. Three years ago, he uprooted his life in Germany to come to the United States.

In Germany, it can be difficult to combine a high level of soccer and high education. Stolz says he would have had to choose between pursing a college degree and continuing his soccer career. Instead, he began looking at American colleges.

His dad had studied for a year at UC San Diego and passed his love for California on to his son. But after applying late to colleges, Stolz ended up on the East Coast at George Mason University. Still, his eyes were set on the Golden State.

“My dad took me out here for Thanksgiving after we finished our season at George Mason and I just liked it a lot better than the East Coast,” Stolz said. “I knew …early on that this is where I wanted to go to school.”

After transferring to UCLA for his sophomore year, Stolz continued his lifelong role as defender and facilitator, dishing out eight assists, tying for first place on team.

Now, Stolz is tied as the team’s No. 1 scorer, and after witnessing the technical skill set Stolz brings to the table, Salcedo is not surprised with the results of the change.

“He protects the ball really well and he’s really composed,” Salcedo said. “A lot of times, guys in those positions don’t have the ability and the wherewithal to prepare the ball and move forward like he does.”

With his new role this year, Stolz hasn’t forgotten his teammates. Along with his five goals, Stolz still leads the Bruins with four assists. But perhaps his most important assist this season came before the games even started – helping UCLA recruit fellow German player, freshman midfielder Felix Vobejda.

“He was the guy I talked to first before I came over here to the United States; I talked to him on Facebook about what he thought about UCLA,” Vobejda said. “Of course we got the same language, so it’s nice to have another German around here.”

Like Stolz, Vobejda said that he decided to come to the United States so that he can pursue a college degree and continue playing high-level soccer.

Now that he’s gotten firsthand experience playing with Stolz, Vobejda has become even more excited with his decision to come to UCLA.

“I think he’s the heart of our team and you can see that every time we play,” Vobejda said. “Without him, I think we would have a lot of problems.”

Derrek Li | Alumnus
Li joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until he graduated in 2017. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's soccer, track and field, cross country and swim and dive beats.