Luskins, UCLA Foundation dismissed as defendants in case

By Daily Bruin

A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge on Tuesday dismissed Meyer and Renee Luskin and the UCLA Foundation from a lawsuit involving the Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference and Guest Center scheduled to open in summer 2016, according to a statement from the university released Wednesday.

Save Westwood Village, a local nonprofit that advocates for Westwood, filed the lawsuit in April, claiming that UCLA does not properly collect taxes on some of its property, specifically citing the Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference and Guest Center. Save Westwood Village claimed that UCLA would have an advantage over other local hotels because it is exempt from certain taxes.

Guests of the University Guest House, the UCLA Tiverton House and the planned conference and guest center must be affiliated with UCLA in order to make a reservation, according to the university’s statement.

The university added in the statement that these facilities do not compete for business with local hotels in the area and are exempt from certain taxes because of the affiliation their guests have with UCLA.

The judge ordered Save Westwood Village to pay for the Luskins’ and the UCLA Foundation’s attorneys’ fees, estimated to be tens of thousands of dollars, according to the statement. The UC Board of Regents remain a defendant in the case.

According to the university’s statement, a motion will be filed to remove the Luskins from another lawsuit filed by Save Westwood Village that challenges the planned conference and guest center’s environmental impact report.

Laura Lake, co-president of Save Westwood Village, said in an interview that she thinks that the university is overstepping its role in the community by building the center.

“UCLA doesn’t have the authority to operate hotels for the general public,” Lake said. “They are going into the private sector (by building the guest center), and they are not allowed to do that.”

Save Westwood Village representatives could not be reached for comment about paying these fees as of press time.

UCLA began construction on the new conference and guest center on Sept. 10.

Compiled by Yael Levin, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin