Bruin creates nonprofit to alleviate hunger in Africa

Steven Ng founded his own nonprofit organization, Global Ties, after spending two weeks in Kenya volunteering in orphanages and medical centers. Global Ties sells bracelets to raise money to help alleviate hunger in various places throughout the world.

By Jennifer Crane

Steven Ng knew he wanted to create his own nonprofit organization after he spent two weeks volunteering at medical centers and orphanages in Kenya this summer.

The third-year economics student said he funded the trip to Africa himself because he wanted to volunteer while living in the conditions of the continent.

Inspired by his trip, Ng founded Global Ties, a nonprofit organization that focuses on global hunger and raises money by selling specially-designed bracelets.

Ng donates the money he raises to Whyhunger, an organization that provides food relief to the neediest places in the world.
He said the organization raised more than $20,000 since August.

The nonprofit organization isn’t his first endeavor in business.

One year ago, Ng founded a fashion accessory company called Elliot Havok that sells sunglasses, wallets, and key holders. Ng and his managing sales partner have generated over a quarter of a million dollars in sales over the past year, he said.

Managing a business is a rewarding experience that teaches people life lessons, Ng said.

“When you run a business or company, you learn a lot about what you are capable of doing yourself,” Ng said. “You learn about time management and you are able to see your full potential.”

Compiled by Jennifer Crane, Bruin senior staff

Jennifer Crane