UCLA extends John Savage’s contract with $1.125 million max compensation

UCLA baseball coach John Savage agreed to a contract extension that will keep him in Westwood through 2025.

By Daily Bruin

UCLA’s offer to extend baseball coach John Savage’s contract and increase his maximum annual compensation to more than $1 million was recently approved by the University of California Board of Regents.

Outgoing UC President Mark Yudof and Regent George Kieffer, chair of the committee on compensation, approved the contract July 25. A report stated that approval was needed before the regents regularly scheduled meeting on Sept. 17-18 in order to retain Savage as UCLA’s baseball coach.

In nine years as the coach of the UCLA baseball team, Savage has led the Bruins to seven NCAA postseason appearances, including three trips to the College World Series over the past four years. The Bruins won the 2013 College World Series in June, securing the school’s first NCAA baseball title.

UCLA announced its agreement to a long-term deal with Savage on July 11, but did not specify details on compensation at the time.

“(I am) very thankful for Dan Guerrero and Gene Block and the entire administration for having faith in myself and our program, and couldn’t be happier to be a Bruin,” said Savage in July when the extension was announced. “It’s an honor and privilege to be able to carry on the tradition of UCLA baseball, and just very, very excited.”

The contract, approved retroactively to begin July 1, 2013 and extend until June 30, 2025, includes an annual guaranteed compensation of $600,000 and replaces Savage’s previous contract, which would have expired on June 30, 2017.

In the first year of the new contract, the total potential cash compensation for Savage is $1,125,000. Under his previous contract, Savage’s maximum annual compensation, which included a $270,000 base salary, potential bonuses and incentives valued at $100,000, a contingent retention bonus of $40,000 and potential camp earnings of $91,000, was $501,000.

Included in the new contract is an annual maximum incentive potential of $150,000, an annual maximum earnings potential of $200,000 for hosting baseball camps, annual bonuses of $75,000 to keep Savage at UCLA and a $100,000 signing bonus. The money for Savage’s compensation increase will come “exclusively from athletic department revenues and private fundraising,” according to the report.

Compiled by Andrew Erickson, Bruin Sports senior staff. Contributing reports by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Daily Bruin