Thursday, May 2, 2024

Mora expresses grief over WR Nick Pasquale’s passing in press conference

Posters remembering UCLA football receiver Nick Pasquale were placed on the entrance to Spaulding Field, where the team practices, after Pasquale’s death early Sunday morning.

By Daily Bruin

Coach Jim Mora addressed the media Monday for his only scheduled press conference of the week. Mora, who briefly spoke at the candlelight vigil for wide receiver Nick Pasquale Sunday night at San Clemente High School, started the press conference by expressing the grief and sadness experienced by him and his team over the loss of Pasquale.

“I got to spend quite a bit of time with his family yesterday, and it’s obviously a very difficult time as you can all imagine,” Mora said. “Our players are dealing with it each in their own way and we think that’s the right way to do it. I think the important thing is that they’re together; they’re there to support each other.”

A local television crew technician interrupted the press conference two minutes in with a phone call, which prompted Mora, who called the move “disrespectful,” to walk out of the room, gather himself and meet with media once again 15 minutes later.

Mora went on to express his contentment at the thought of Pasquale getting to play in UCLA’s first game against Nevada, his first ever in-game action as a Bruin.

“I told the kids that they needed to understand how important it is that they go out there every week and try to help each other reach their dreams and their goals,” Mora said. “And because of us getting the lead that we did because of some starters, guys like Nick, whose dream was to always play for UCLA, got a chance to run out on the Rose Bowl field and play in front of his parents and that’s something his parents will have forever.”

To honor Pasquale in UCLA’s upcoming game against Nebraska, the Bruins will wear No. 36 patches on the front of their jerseys. Nebraska’s football team will place No. 36 emblems on their helmets, and Lincoln’s Memorial Stadium, the site of Saturday’s game, will hold a moment of silence for Pasquale.

UCLA grief counselors have been made available to players, as have football and basketball team chaplains. The Bruins held a team meeting Sunday night after Mora returned from the vigil, which the second-year coach described as silent. He said that as the days go by, players will understandably handle their grief in different ways but that the important thing is that his team is together, regardless of wins and losses, throughout this tragic time.

“It’s hard; we’re all trying to figure out how to deal with it best,” Mora said. “The best thing we can do as a team is be together because we are a team. Like I told them is that every day here we honor Nick and his family. And I think the way we do that is in the way we play.”

Compiled by Andrew Erickson, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Daily Bruin