Golfer Jay Hwang shows strong performance at Calif. State Open

Rising junior golfer Jay Hwang finished 10th in the California State Open last week

By Kevin Bowman

July 22, 2013 12:24 a.m.

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

Rising junior golfer Jay Hwang competed last week in the California State Open Golf Championship. Hwang finished the four-round tournament tied for 10th place with a combined score of 277, which was 11 strokes under par.

The tournament, held at Morongo Golf Club at Tukwet Canyon in Beaumont, Calif., was arranged by the Professional Golfers Association of America’s Southern California section and ran from July 15 to 18. Hwang competed against 155 professional and amateur golfers from around the country, although just 68 made the cut after the second round.

Hwang moved up the standings throughout the four-day tournament. After his first round score of 71 was just one stroke under par, Hwang improved the next two days. He shot a 68 in both rounds two and three good for 4-under par both days.

Although his fourth round score didn’t improve on his second and third rounds, Hwang’s personal highlight came on the final day. On the par-5 fourth hole, Hwang hit his only eagle of the tournament, sinking the putt after just three strokes. Hwang finished the fourth round with a score of 70 two strokes under par.

Hwang’s tied-for-tenth place finish was the best placing of the nine amateur golfers in the tournament that made the cut.

Compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Correction: Hwang did not accept winnings from the tournament. 

Kevin Bowman | Alumnus