UCLA track and field to host Jim Bush SoCal Championships

Redshirt junior discus thrower Julian Wruck will use Saturday’s Jim Bush SoCal Championships as preparation for the upcoming NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Track and field

JIM BUSH SOCAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Saturday, 9 a.m.

Drake Stadium
No TV info

By Connie Chiou

Not everyone gets to have a meet named after himself, but when it does happen, it might be because he’s had a storied career coaching 118 NCAA medalists and 30 Olympians.

UCLA will be hosting the Jim Bush SoCal Championships, which will take place Saturday. The competition is named in honor of the National Track and Field Hall of Famer, whose legacy at UCLA includes winning five NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships during his stint as coach from 1965–1984.

While UCLA will have 28 athletes competing at the invite, junior hammer thrower Ida Storm is one of only two Bruins participating who are also going to compete at NCAAs.
Blaine Ohigashi / Daily Bruin
The championships will also be the last meet that athletes from the Bruins’ track and field team will participate in before the culmination of the season at next week’s NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Eugene, Ore.

However, marks posted during the meet will not count toward qualifying for NCAAs. Instead, the Bruins will get the opportunity to pit their skills against open-level track athletes who will be representing their clubs with the hope of claiming the top prize – funds that will go toward the winning team’s travel expenses for the USATF National Club Track and Field Championships.

The UCLA contingent consists of 28 athletes including junior hammer thrower Ida Storm and redshirt junior discus thrower Julian Wruck. Wruck and Storm will be the only Bruins qualified for NCAAs who will be competing in the Jim Bush SoCal Championships.

Also representing the Bruins will be junior pole vaulter Mike Woepse, redshirt junior discus thrower Matthew Kosecki and redshirt freshman shot putter Nicholas Scarvelis. For them, the Jim Bush SoCal Championships will be their final meet of the season, after each missed qualifying for nationals by only one position, placing 13th in their respective events in last week’s qualifiers in Austin, Texas.

Connie Chiou