UCLA student charged with three felony counts awaits preliminary court hearing

By Erin Donnelly

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

A UCLA student awaits a June court date after pleading not guilty last month to three felony counts in connection with an alleged assault of another student during a fraternity house party.

Paul Meyer, a 20-year-old member of the Theta Chi fraternity, was charged with violent false imprisonment, assault by means likely to cause a great bodily injury and assault with intent to commit rape, sodomy or oral copulation, according to the felony complaint.

His arraignment was held early last month. If convicted of all three felony counts, Meyer could face up to 10 years in a state prison.

Meyer was scheduled to appear at a preliminary hearing setting on Friday, but the court appearance was pushed to June 14, said a District Attorney spokeswoman. At a preliminary hearing setting, a date is set for the case’s preliminary hearing, which determines whether or not there is enough evidence for the case to go to trial.

During a party at the Theta Chi fraternity house on March 8, Meyer allegedly attempted to choke a female UCLA student who was also attending the party. The female student was treated at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and released the next day.

Meyer, who lived at the Theta Chi fraternity house at 663 Gayley Ave. at the time of the incident, and the female student knew each other before the incident took place, police said.

Immediately following the incident, Meyer was arrested without a struggle at the fraternity house on suspicion of attempted murder, according to a UCLA statement. Meyer was later released on $200,000 bail.

Correction: Meyer pleaded not guilty to three felony counts in connection with an alleged assault.

Erin Donnelly