Referendum seeks stable funding for Bruin Bash

With student government elections just around the corner, students will soon be voting on various referendums, including the Bruin Bash referendum to help provide a stable fund for Bruin Bash and all of the activities it encompasses. 

The Bruin Bash referendum proposes a $1.33 per quarter fee increase, where $1 will go toward the fund and 33 cents will be returned to students through financial aid, as mandated by the University of California. Twenty percent of the student body must vote in the election and then a majority of those students must vote in favor of Bruin Bash referendum for it to pass.

The referendum would raise about $80,000 to help fund Bruin Bash festivities at the beginning of fall quarter that include a concert, a film screening, a dance, a lounge and the Enormous Activities Fair for students, said Jan Tancinco, cultural events commissioner.

Bruin Bash and the activities fair intend to provide a positive alternative environment for UCLA students to come back to instead of going to parties, said Roy Champawat, director of Associated Students UCLA.

The costs for Bruin Bash include paying for the artists, facility, security, lighting and sound equipment, as well as technicians to run all of them, Champawat said.

Funds also come from UCLA administration, namely to pay for security, Champawat said. Facility costs for Bruin Bash alone have exceeded $100,000 in previous years, Tancinco said.

Facility costs include all venues used over the course of the entire weekend as well as stage set up and lighting, said Taylor Mason, cultural affairs commissioner.

Bruin Bash will still seek funding from other sources such as endorsements, though the $80,000 generated through the USAC referendum would give the Cultural Affairs Commission and Campus Events Commission a foothold to work with to begin planning for the events, Tancinco said.

Courtney Mariano, a third-year economics and communication studies student, said she enjoyed the Ying Yang Twins, Travie McCoy and The Cataracts’ performances in 2010. But she did not go this past year because she did not recognize any of the artists on the lineup.

She said she supports the referendum because it could be helpful in getting better artists for Bruin Bash.

Usually, funding for the event comes from the Undergraduate Students Association Council’s surplus funds, which Tancinco said can be problematic because funds fluctuate from year to year and are not stable.

Additionally, the USAC surplus is set well into summer.

The CEC and CAC begin to look for artists in May prior to Bruin Bash. However, they can’t actually book an artist until they know how much money they have to fund Bruin Bash.

This information normally  isn’t available to organizers until August and makes it difficult for organizers to find artists to headline the concert with such a small amount of time, Tancinco said.

In past years, the success of Bruin Bash has been a concern because USAC surplus is a huge lottery, Mason said.

Funds from the initiative would be used for not only the concert and dance that happen, but also the activities fair that informs students about many of the clubs and events the university has to offer.

“The activities fair is one of the most valuable assets to breaking down campus to new students and the best avenue for groups to succeed by getting membership,” said USAC President David Bocarsly.

The referendum has garnered mixed reactions from student government slates.

Bruins United endorsed the referendum, according to an emailed statement. Bruin Alliance, however, chose not to take a stance because they said they want the student body to make its own judgements, said Bruin Alliance co-chair David Mangold. LET’S ACT! is also taking a neutral stance.

Claire Yee, a third-year communication studies student, said she would support the referendum if organizers addressed other issues besides the lineup. For example, she said she hopes that next year it is easier for students who do not live on campus to get wristbands to get in.

Students can start voting on MyUCLA at noon on Monday.

Contributing reports from Kristen Taketa, Bruin reporter, and Jillian Beck, Bruin senior staff.