Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Track and field succeeds at invitational, hurdler sets event record

By Daily Bruin

Sophomore hurdler Brea Buchanan made waves in the indoor season with a fifth-place finish in the 60-meter hurdles in the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships. On Saturday, she was able to translate that success to the outdoor events at the Strehle Track in Pomona College for the 2013 Pomona-Pitzer Track and Field Invitational.

Buchanan set record in her event, running a 13.17 seconds 100-meter hurdles, breaking the previous meet record of 13.22 seconds that had been in place since 1997.

The No. 21 UCLA track and field women’s team also had several strong performances from their sprinters.

In the 400m, senior sprinter Turquoise Thompson finished in second place, while senior sprinter Danielle Low finished in ninth.

Freshman sprinters Kelly Rhines and Sydney Lewis both competed in the 200m and finished fifth and ninth respectively.

The 100m was UCLA’s top sprinting event finish with sophomore sprinter and long jumper Kylie Price building upon her stellar result from last weekend at Drake Stadium, finishing in first with a time of 11.47 seconds.

In the pole vault event, juniors Natasha Kolbo and Courtney Reginato tied for a third-place finish. Four other Bruin athletes finished in the top 10, with senior pole vaulter Liz Goodrich coming in seventh and redshirt junior Karlye Marshall, sophomore Elena Clarke and freshman Renee Greene placing joint ninth.

Redshirt sophomore thrower Jaycee Olsen wrapped up third place in the discus event to round off the day for the women’s team.

All of the No. 12 men’s team’s pole vaulters finished in the top 10. Junior Mike Woepse led the pack with a second place jump.

The throwers on the men’s team also had a strong day on Strehle Track. In the discus event, redshirt sophomore Tom Hart placed fifth, while redshirt freshman Will Parsons came in seventh.

Sophomore thrower Josh Scherer placed fourth in the hammer throw, while redshirt senior thrower Nigel Davies placed third in shot put.

Two other Bruins finished third in their respective competitions; junior Michael Perry jumped 23 feet, 5.25 inches in the long jump, and freshman Jarrett Gonzales recorded a time of 53.90 seconds in the 400-meter hurdles.

Gonzales was also part of the 4×400-meter relay team that included sophomore Andre Chapman, freshman Tyler Brown and freshman Sean Davis and finished first.

Compiled by Aubrey Yeo, Bruin Sports contributor.

Daily Bruin