UCLA men’s water polo player arrested on rape allegation

By Daily Bruin

A student on the UCLA men’s water polo team was arrested last week on suspicion of rape involving a female student in an on-campus residential hall, according to university police.

Hakop Kaplanyan, a redshirt freshman, was arrested without a struggle early in the morning on April 3, after the female student filed a police report about 10 p.m. on April 2, according to a UCPD statement. The two students knew each other before the incident, police said.

Kaplanyan, an 18-year-old Glendale native, has been suspended from the university but can appeal the suspension, the report stated.

[Updated at 7 p.m. Tuesday: In a statement released on Facebook Tuesday, Kaplanyan’s attorney said the student is innocent and plans to appeal his suspension.

The lawyer has not responded to The Bruin’s request for comment, but told ABC News that Kaplanyan and the victim were dating and had consensual sex.

He was released on a $200,000 bail and is set to appear in court on April 25, police said.]

The investigation is ongoing and police have not made any additional information about the alleged incident available to the public, said UCPD spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein.

Compiled by Erin Donnelly, Bruin senior staff.
Daily Bruin