Physical practice and overall growth to shape women’s water polo match against Stanford

Armed with improved skills and an increased sense of teamwork, junior attacker Victoria Kent gears up for the match against Stanford.

Women’s water polo

STANFORD
Saturday, 1 p.m.

Palo Alto, Calif.
No TV info

By Sari Zureiqat

As the women’s water polo team wrapped up practice on Tuesday, its focused plays and high-energy swims sent a clear message: The team was ready for business.

It’s an attitude the No. 4 Bruins will need as they prepare to face the No. 2 Stanford Cardinal on Saturday. The last time the two teams faced off, UCLA lost 8-5.

“Sometimes, things don’t go our way. Shots aren’t going in, or not everyone’s on the same page, or not everyone’s giving 100 percent,” said junior attacker Victoria Kent.

“But I feel like (on Tuesday) we did a lot of physical things and a lot of playing that we all just went at each other and gave it our all, and it just kind of clicked. It was a good practice.”

The importance of practicing game situations through scrimmaging, for example, is vital before Saturday’s game. Stanford’s team, consisting of a few Olympians, will pose a particularly difficult challenge.

“They are a challenge in every facet you can think of,” said coach Brandon Brooks. “They have three returning Olympians and some of the most talented kids out there – what problem don’t they pose?”

Brooks also said that the team will need to improve on its 6 on 5 power plays, something he said it could have done better in the last Stanford game.

Still, the players are confident in their chances based on this week’s hard work.

“We’ve been working hard this week. We’re playing as a team and we’re communicating well –  it’s looking good,” said sophomore defender Shelby Couture.

Although Stanford will pose an obstacle for UCLA’s young team, Brooks said that he has seen growth in the team, a trait that doesn’t come easily in such a demanding sport as water polo.

“I think our fitness is excellent, and I think that we are constantly maturing and growing up. You can’t rush experience, but we’re gaining it,” Brooks said.

Ultimately, the team feels this experience, combined with its growing ability to work together as a unified group, is what will bring success against the Cardinal.

“We have a really young team, but I think that throughout the season we’ve grown and we’re starting to really come together as one,” Kent said.

“It doesn’t matter, our age, anymore. It’s more that we have really good players and we all work as hard as we can every day. And I think that it’s going to show against Stanford.”

Sari Zureiqat