Track and field posts several top-five finishes in Texas

Track and field

Pomona-Pitzer Invitational
Saturday

Claremont, Calif.
No TV info

By Daily Bruin

They say everything’s bigger in Texas, and UCLA track and field team lived up to that by delivering big in two meets in Texas over the last week, clinching several top-five finishes.

The No. 12 men’s team and No. 24 women’s team traveled to Texas over spring break to participate in the 86th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays at the Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin. The women’s team had success across various events, and the men’s team dominated the throwing game.

Redshirt senior distance runner Katja Goldring finished second in the women’s 5,000 meter race. The race featured a second Bruin in the top five, as redshirt sophomore distance runner Kelsey Smith who finished fifth.

The UCLA women’s 4x800m relay team comprised of sophomore Jen Owen, freshman Luna Udeloven, junior Tiffany LaMar and senior Danielle Low came in fifth place.

Senior pole vaulter Allison Koressel jumped a high enough to secure a fourth-place finish.

Sophomore long jumper Kylie Price clinched second in the women’s long jump event.

Junior thrower Ida Storm landed second place in the women’s hammer throw event.

Senior decathlete Marcus Nilsson accumulated 7,612 points in the men’s decathlon, enough for a fifth-place finish.

Junior thrower Alec Faldermeyer finished first in the hammer throw event with a throw of 228 feet, 10 inches, enough to put him in pole position for the NCAA standings.

Redshirt junior thrower Julian Wruck was the most accomplish UCLA competitor of the meet. With a throw of 216-7, Wruck broke both the preexisting meet record and the all-time Bruin discus record of 213-5 that he set on March 23 at the Texas State Elite Meet.

The Bruins also claimed several top-five finishes in the Bobcat Invitational at the Texas State Track and Field Stadium in San Marcos, Texas.

Redshirt sophomore thrower Jaycee Olsen claimed third in the women’s discus event with a throw of 154-7.

The women’s high jump event saw two Bruins, freshman high jumper Caroline Gyllenbern and sophomore Zibby Boyer, share second place after both athletes recorded a jump of 5-5.

Sophomore distance runner Merissa Kado recorded a time of 4:48.4 in the women’s 1,500m event, enough to claim fifth place.

Freshman long jumper Maya Brown finished fifth in the women’s long jump, with a best jump of 18-6.

Redshirt freshman thrower Ryan Andrews claimed a tied fifth-place finish in shot put after throwing for 196-7.

Junior thrower Victoria Breidenthal finished fourth in the women’s javelin event, with a best effort of 122-0.

The Bruins will be able to take a break from their traveling schedule as they continue the outdoor season by competing in the Rafer Johnson/Jackie Joyner-Kersee Invitational on Saturday at Drake Stadium.

Compiled by Aubrey Yeo, Bruin Sports contributor.

Daily Bruin