UCLA student faces charges, after allegedly attempting to assault a fellow student

By Daily Bruin

This article was updated on March 10 at 1:38 p.m.

The original headline and article contained multiple errors and information that was unclear, and have been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information. 

A UCLA student will face charges of assault with intent to commit rape and false imprisonment, after he allegedly tried to choke another student during a party at the Theta Chi fraternity house early Friday morning. [UPDATED at 1:38 p.m. He was released from the Inmate Reception Center in downtown Los Angeles Saturday night on bond, according to Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department records and a UCLA statement.

Paul Meyer, a 20-year-old student who lives in the Theta Chi fraternity house at 663 Gayley Ave., is scheduled to appear in court for a formal reading of his charges on April 4, according to Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department records.He can plead guilty, not guilty or no contest to the charges during the arraignment.

About 2:30 a.m. Friday, Meyer allegedly attempted to choke a female UCLA student who was also attending the party, said Nancy Greenstein, a UCPD spokeswoman. She added that alcohol was available at the party, but police are still investigating whether Meyer or the victim were drinking.

Meyer and the female student knew each other before the incident took place, Greenstein said.

The female student was taken to the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and has since been released, Greenstein said.

Immediately following the incident, Meyer was arrested without a struggle at the house on suspicion of attempted murder, according to a UCLA statement. Meyer was being held on $200,000 bail and faces charges of assault with intent to commit rape and false imprisonment, which is unlawful violation of another person’s personal liberty, Greenstein said.

Theta Chi officials declined to comment on Friday’s incident. The police investigation is still ongoing and no further details are available at this time, according to a UCLA statement.

Compiled by Erin Donnelly, Bruin senior staff.

Correction: A UCLA student will face charges of assault with intent to commit rape and false imprisonment, after he allegedly tried to choke another student during a party. Meyer was being held on $200,000 bail and faces charges of assault with intent to commit rape and false imprisonment.

Daily Bruin