UCLA student arrested on suspicion of attempted murder at Theta Chi fraternity house, police say

By Daily Bruin

The original version of this article contained an error and information that was unclear, and has been changed. The original headline contained information that was unclear and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

A UCLA student was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder early this morning, after allegedly attempting to strangle another student during a party at the Theta Chi fraternity house.

At about 2:30 a.m., Paul Meyer, a 20-year-old student who lives at the fraternity house at 663 Gayley Ave., allegedly attempted to strangle a female student who was also attending the party, said Nancy Greenstein, a spokeswoman with university police. Meyer and the woman knew each other before the incident and it is unclear at this point whether or not alcohol was involved, she added.

The woman was taken to a hospital and has since been released, Greenstein said.

Meyer was also taken to a hospital to be treated for an illness, although police did not specify which illness. He is currently being questioned by UCPD detectives and is expected to be transferred to a sheriff’s station later this weekend and given a court date for sometime next week, Greenstein said.

Compiled by Erin Donnelly, Bruin senior staff.

Correction: Paul Meyer’s last name was misspelled. Also, Meyer was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder early this morning. Meyer allegedly attempted to strangle a female student, said Nancy Greenstein, a spokeswoman with university police.

Daily Bruin