Court Visions: Kyle Anderson’s showcase justifies Arizona as his potential final act in Westwood

By Ryan Menezes

In a three-point game, UCLA desperately needed a defensive stop to close out a win over Arizona and cap an electric day for fans inside and outside Pauley Pavilion.

The Bruins got it after freshman forward/guard Shabazz Muhammad rose up to grab a defensive rebound over two Wildcats.

On cue, a host of Los Angeles Clippers at the game – Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan, Chauncey Billups and former Bruin Matt Barnes – got up out of their courtside seats and exited with some time left on the clock. It may not have been a direct validation of Muhammad, but those pros know what it takes to finish.

An NBA-level play from an NBA-level player guaranteed the 74-69 victory, a game that will probably be Muhammad’s last at home.

But for coach Ben Howland, there was nothing probable about it.

“I’m a realist – I knew going into this that this was a one-year deal,” Howland said after the game. “It should be. He’s a lottery pick. He’s a top-five pick. When you have that going for you, it’s absolutely the right thing for him. So that was his last game in Pauley Pavilion, no doubt about it.”

Muhammad, predictably, downplayed the certainty of his leaving for the NBA that Howland played up. Though he has clearly enjoyed his time here at UCLA, Muhammad still has given no indications of returning, which would make little sense for him anyway.

Muhammad’s 18-point performance on the national stage will only increase the already-high demand for his talents. For his teammates, their play in UCLA’s win might affect their future prospects, which are much more volatile than Muhammad’s.

After the game, Muhammad came to the postgame podium along with Larry Drew II and freshman Kyle Anderson.

We already know that two of those three will be gone soon. Drew is a redshirt senior who has completely changed from his time at North Carolina and is now one of the best passers in the country. What’s more is that the point guard’s scoring ability, fueled by an improving jumper, has made UCLA’s offense even more efficient.

What I’m wondering is if that entire trio will leave after this season. That hinges on the development of Anderson, long thought to be an NBA talent.

If the prime-time, ESPN game was meant to be a showcase for Muhammad, Anderson stole the show, at least for one half. He put up 15 points on 7-of-12 shooting while easily handling Arizona’s bigger, stronger players in the first half.

It’s tough to put a position in front of Anderson’s name because we really don’t know what he is just yet. He would prefer to be a point guard, but UCLA already has one that’s quite good. So Anderson has adjusted to playing a hybrid role, a ball-handling forward that runs the offense when Drew is off the court and attacks the post and the glass otherwise.

“He’s such a good rebounder, it’s hard to take him out of the game,” Howland said.

Anderson finished with 17 points, seven rebounds, three assists, a block, a steal and two turnovers on 8-of-16 shooting, with some missed mid-range jump shots dropping his field-goal percentage. Saturday was a taste of the full Kyle Anderson experience.

“He’s just so skilled,” Howland added. “You see his potential and upside is really special.”

Anderson showed what he could do as a playmaker at the high school level. He has only added to his game since then. But when both coach and player were asked if Anderson would join Muhammad, neither seemed so sure.

“I haven’t been thinking about that,” Anderson said.

It might seem that thinking so far ahead has little bearing on the current season, which is only getting better for UCLA. The Bruins are now tied for first in the Pac-12 and have a chance at winning the conference title in this final week of regular season games.

But what happens in the future is a direct result of right now. If Anderson continues to improve as he has, UCLA will do the same.

UCLA honored Drew on senior night before the game and Howland held his own ceremony for Muhammad afterward. If Saturday was the last time we saw Anderson play in Westwood, he showed us why his future may be brighter than those of his teammates.

E-mail Menezes at [email protected] or tweet at @ryanvmenezes. 

Ryan Menezes