Cody Regis returns to UCLA baseball after missing opening weekend

By Daily Bruin

Senior infielder Cody Regis of UCLA baseball has been cleared to play after missing opening weekend because of an academic issue, according to coach John Savage.

Regis – UCLA’s lone senior – posted a message on a social networking site suggesting he would return, and Savage confirmed Regis’ eligibility Tuesday afternoon. Regis will travel with the No. 12 Bruins to Waco, Texas, where they will face Baylor (0-3) this weekend.

Regis has made 135 career starts at third base but this season may be different. He will play first base or be the team’s designated hitter because sophomore Kevin Kramer has cemented himself in the hot corner, according to Savage. Regis is somewhat familiar with first base, having made 13 career starts there, all of them coming last season.

Six of Regis’ former classmates were selected in the MLB First-Year Player Draft after last season. Despite the fact that he was a key cog on UCLA’s College World Series team in 2010, Regis did not hear his name called, perhaps for good reason. Regis led UCLA in home runs as a freshman but offensive numbers have consistently decreased since his freshman season (see table).

Picture 1-1

“It hasn’t been the year that I was hoping to have but I’ve been sticking with the process and trying not to think about it too much,” Regis said after UCLA’s win over TCU in the 2012 NCAA Super Regionals. “I’m trying to keep it fun. It’s a game after all.”

The Bruins opened the season 2-1, dropping a 6-2 extra-innings decision to Minnesota on Friday before outscoring the Golden Gophers 28-1 in wins on Saturday and Sunday. UCLA was scheduled to travel to UC Santa Barbara tonight, but the game was postponed until Feb. 26 because of rain.

Compiled by Sam Strong, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Daily Bruin