Women’s golf returns to regular season play

By Daily Bruin

After a long hiatus, the UCLA women’s golf team will jump back on the course this week for the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge in Palos Verdes, Calif.

Despite the long break, the team did not take it easy. Just last month, sophomore All-American Erynne Lee represented USA in the Copa de las Americas, where she helped the team earn its third straight title.

Lee, who is ranked eighth in the country, led the competition with the lowest women’s score.

Earlier in the season, the team focused on improving its strokes and making slight changes in their approach, which did not always hail the best results when it came to competition.

With this three-month break, however, the women have had plenty of time to practice and are ready to get back into the competition mindset.

Last year at Palos Verdes, UCLA was the top-ranked team in the country and came home with its fourth title of the season, despite the wet weather at the Palos Verdes Golf Club.

The women ended the fall portion of their season ranked 36th in the country, losing a key player in senior Tiffany Lua early on. With Lua now back on the course after recovering from a wrist injury, the team is looking to recreate last year’s experience in hopes of climbing back up in the rankings.

Today, the Bruins will face off against five Pac-12 schools: No. 7 Arizona, No. 8 Arizona State, No. 40 Oregon, No. 3 USC and No. 1 Washington, among other top-50 schools.

Compiled by Marion Patricio, Bruin Sports contributor.

Daily Bruin