Men’s golf locks in second team win at Amer Ari Invitational

By Andrew Erickson

On Friday, the UCLA men’s golf team finished the Amer Ari Invitational in Waikoloa, Hawaii with its second team tournament victory of the year.

The No. 4 Bruins trailed the No. 7 Washington Huskies by two strokes heading into the final round, but shot an impressive 285 (-3) in the tournament’s final round on Friday to tie their Pac-12 opponent at 842 (-22). The two teams then went into a sudden death playoff to determine the tournament champion.

In the playoff, each UCLA and Washington player repeated the 17th hole. The Bruins won after recording the better composite score, with all of UCLA’s team members recording a par to clinch the victory.

Senior Pontus Widegren  tied for the fourth-best individual score of the tournament. Widegren shot 71 (-1) in the tournament’s final round to solidify his position near the top of the leaderboard. Senior Pedro Figueiredo shot 70 (-2) on Friday to earn a 10th-place individual finish.

The Amer Ari Invitational Victory came just three days after freshman Jake Knapp and sophomore Matt Pinizzotto finished first and second, respectively, at the Cal State San Marcos Invitational at Shadow Ridge Country Club in Vista, Calif. on Tuesday.

The Bruins resume play Monday at The Prestige, a tournament hosted by UC Davis in La Quinta, Calif.

Compiled by Andrew Erickson, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Andrew Erickson | Editor in chief