Good habits prevent skin damage

Healthy skin tips

Decrease the temperature and length of showers
    Moisturize after every shower
    Wear sunscreen daily on all exposed skin
    Choose sunscreen that protects against UVA and UVB exposure with SPF 15 or 30
    Decrease outside activity during peak sun times, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m

By

The original version of this article contained information that was unclear and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for additional information.

From time to time, Dr. David Baron, executive director at the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center, will ask other health experts at the Ashe Center to host the column and answer student questions.

Healthy skin means something different to each person. Everyone’s skin is unique, and many things affect our skin differently. The simplest ways to keep skin healthy are to moisturize regularly, decrease ultraviolet –  or UV – light exposure, exercise often, eat healthier and not overscrub.

If you have sensitive skin or acne, select your daily wash, soap or cleanser carefully.

Don’t wash your face more than twice a day (excess dryness of the face actually causes the pores to produce more oil), and use a liquid or unscented mild cleanser. Abrasive scrubs like apricot scrubs can cause irritation to skin and increase pigment in acne scars. Toners may be helpful to exfoliate and dry oily skin. But for most types of skin, there is little benefit with toner use.

Dryness and ultraviolet light both affect the health of your skin. UV light causes about 80 percent of skin cancers. In Los Angeles, students new to the area will notice our dry air and sunny days. Keeping the skin hydrated is a fabulous barrier to outside irritants and infections. Many lotions contain both sunscreens and moisturizers, meaning sun and dryness protection can be accomplished with one application.

Lastly, exercise and eating healthy are good for your skin. Exercise increases sweat production and helps clean out pores. Sensible food intake is good for us but often challenging for college students. Consider even adding one more serving of a fruit or vegetable to your diet each day. Try putting an apple or a bag of washed and peeled carrots in your backpack.

Maintaining your skin now, and in the future, will delay the effects of aging and significantly decrease the risk of developing skin cancer. We here at the Ashe Center not only want you to be healthy now but also to lead healthier lifestyles that will keep you healthier (and looking better) in the future.

Christina Lewis is a nurse practitioner at the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center.

Send an email to: asheaboutyourhealth

Clarification: The article contained a recommendation for dealing with acne that did not apply to the college-aged population.