Directors, actors discuss “Parker” adaptation

Jason Statham stars in the new action flick “Parker.” Directed by Taylor Hackford, the film is based on the popular book series of the same name by author Richard Stark.

By Maria Simpson

The Richard Stark novel “Flashfire” is reimagined for the big screen in “Parker,” a crime thriller starring Jason Statham as Parker and Jennifer Lopez as Leslie, a forty-year-old divorcee returning to the work force and struggling to make ends meet. The Parker series of books involves a character of the same name, who is described as a ruthless criminal making a career out of stealing from the rich and corrupt. He justifies his actions using his own moral code and by saying that his victims get what they deserve.

Members of the cast, including Michael Chiklis, who plays crime boss Melander, Jason Statham and director Taylor Hackford, were at the Four Seasons hotel in Beverly Hills on Jan. 15 for a press junket. Daily Bruin’s Maria Simpson was there to gain insight into the casting process as well as the inspiration for the film.

Daily Bruin: With the “Parker” books having such a loyal fan base, did you take the novel into consideration, or do you simply look at the script?

Michael Chiklis: I’ve had the experience of doing biopics and material that’s known, and I’m just really of a mind that you need to show some deference to the fan base of a particular piece or person that you’re portraying, because you’re making a mistake if you don’t.

Taylor Hackford: I take inspiration from the source, and Donald Westlake/Richard Stark created this very interesting character. Parker is a criminal and unapologetically so. And as I’ve said before, he’s going to steal as much money as possible, and he does not have one iota of remorse about it; so that’s interesting. … In our world of compromise, loss of integrity, where anything can be bought, having Parker is in its own way refreshing because he won’t do it. So what I set out to do was not invent. You can’t invent because there are so many readers of Parker. I tried to take the inspiration of Parker, be true to it and, at the same time, do it in your own unique way, and I did. Parker is not a superman. He can be hurt.

DB: Did this project come to you with a star already attached to it?

TH: Jason Statham was sniffing around the periphery. When you’re stepping up to a literary work that has had some really interesting actors, you can’t do this work without somebody that can truly embody Parker. So, I’m going … Jason Statham. You know what, he’s English. Parker’s not, but he’s the right guy. Then I met with Jason. We talked about it. We both committed to the film at the same time.

DB: What was it like shooting in New Orleans and helping to reinvigorate the film industry there after the hurricane?

TH: I hate to say this but I reinvigorated the film industry in New Orleans. Brandon Tartikoff (former chairman of Paramount Pictures) and I taught some classes at the University of New Orleans and people asked us what they needed to do to make it a production center. We wrote a white paper on what they needed to do: write an incentive, build a studio. If you have a university that’s supposed to be teaching people things to get a good job … a grip and gaffer, that’s pretty good pay. Seven years later, I got a call from the chancellor of the University of New Orleans saying, “We did it. We did all the things you said.” “Ray” was the first film to use the incentive.

DB: How was Melander’s code of ethics different from Parker’s?

MC: He’s a bad guy; let’s face it. It’s interesting how with the human condition we justify all manner of evil acts based on the perspective of the villain. Sometimes we say, “Well Robin Hood stole from the rich … but in the court of law, my character is going to the same jail as Parker’s character.” That said, I think people respond to certain appearances of nobility. I only hurt people who deserve to be hurt. I only seek vengeance from people who earn it from me.

DB: How is Parker distinct from other action roles you’ve played in the past?

Jason Statham: Every story is a different story. I’ve played a thief before. I’ve played a tough guy before. I’ve played a lot of things that might have elements of what Parker has, but what is really specifically different is that this comes from a great quality of writing. Donald Westlake wrote over twenty books about this guy. (Parker) does many bad things, but for the right reasons. He has a redeemable quality about him. We’re forced to try and figure out what that is. He’s someone that doesn’t steal from people that can’t afford it. Does that make him a good person? I don’t know. There’s a moral side to him that’s quite strong.

Email Simpson at [email protected].

Maria Simpson