UC suspends new logo in response to criticism

By Daily Bruin

Following backlash from the UC community surrounding a new UC logo that was introduced in recent months, the University announced today it will suspend use of the monogram.

Last week, students and alumni of the University expressed criticism of the logo, and a petition against it was created on Change.org. As of 11:15 this morning, the petition had reached 54,384 supporters.

In a press release, Daniel M. Dooley, senior vice president for external relations at the University of California Office of the President, stated the criticisms have proved a distraction while the UC aims to pursue its larger goals.

“A controversy has developed over an element of an integrated visual identity designed for use by the University of California’s systemwide office,” the release stated. “The controversy has been fueled in large part by an unfortunate and false narrative, which framed the matter as an either-or choice between a venerated UC seal and a newly designed monogram.”

Dooley said in the statement the feedback the University received was important.

“While I believe the design element in question would win wide acceptance over time, it also is important that we listen to and respect what has been a significant negative response by students, alumni and other members of our community,” the release stated.

The communications team has been directed to suspend all use of the new logo, but the statement said the suspension may take a “measure of time.”

Compiled by Katherine Hafner, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin