Breakdown of past fall and upcoming winter UCLA sports

By Emma Coghlan

Dec. 10, 2012 12:49 a.m.

ROUNDING UP FALL

The end of fall doesn’t just mark the end of the quarter ““ it marks the end of the season for many UCLA teams. Wondering how the Bruins fared this fall? Look no further.

Men’s soccer ““ They finished up with a 13-3-3 record. Even though they won the Pac-12 title against San Diego State, it was another San Diego team that shut down UCLA’s season. The Bruins lost to the San Diego Torreros in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Women’s soccer ““ Women’s soccer’s troubles against the Stanford Cardinal came back to plague them once again this season. Not only was their first loss of 2012 to the team from up north, but the 18-3-2 UCLA squad lost to Stanford again in the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament.

Men’s water polo ““ UCLA had an up and down season, with wins against strong programs like Cal and Stanford but losses to lower-ranked squads such as Santa Barbara. The Bruins finished the 28-5 season with a disappointment ““ a loss to rival USC in the NCAA Title Game, marking their second title game loss to the Trojans in two years.

Women’s volleyball ““ After winning the national championship in 2011, women’s volleyball came into 2012 with high expectations. However, bouts of inconsistent play led them to a 23-8 record, and an early exit from the tournament. Michigan State beat them in the second round of NCAA tournament play.

Cross country ““ The team as a whole had a markedly better season in 2012 than in past years, highlighted by strong performances from several members of the men’s squad, including sophomore Lane Werley, junior Dustin Fay and senior Alec Govi. The men’s team finished 13th at NCAA Championships.

WHAT’S COMING IN WINTER

As students get ready for the new quarter to start, many teams will be revving up their seasons. From the sports that have just gotten underway to the ones who will pick back up in the winter, and even those which are starting anew, find out what UCLA teams will face in the coming quarter.

Women’s golf ““ The squad worked their way to top ten finishes in all their fall tournaments. They will start their winter season in February at the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge. In the meantime, team standout and sophomore Erynne Lee will refine her skills as one of USA teams’ four amateurs competing in January at Copa de las Americas in Florida.

Men’s golf ““ The team had top five finishes in all fall tournaments, plus senior Pedro Figueiredo and junior Anton Arboleda’s had strong showings at November’s individual Western Refining College All-American Golf Classic. They will start their winter season in February.

Men’s basketball ““ The team is off to a 6-3 start after Saturday’s last-minute victory over Texas, and will look to carry that momentum into their six games at Pauley Pavilion over winter break. Their season will continue into winter quarter.

Women’s basketball ““ They’ve started at a strong 5-1, beating two ranked teams on the road. Their season will continue through break and into next quarter.

Swim & dive ““ With a bevy of wins under their belts from the fall, the Bruins will continue their season through January and beyond.

Women’s tennis ““ After a strong tournament run last season, women’s tennis will look to go even further when their season starts in Hawaii in January.

Men’s tennis ““ Like their female counterpart, the men’s tennis team made it far last season. They’ll look to continue their winning ways come the start of the season in January.

Gymnastics ““ NCAA title winners in 2010, gymnastics will look to take their fourth title in four years as their season gets going. The team is ranked No. 2 going into the season, continuing a long-standing tradition of top-five preseason rankings.

Track and field ““ Track and field will try to build off last year as their season officially gets started in January.

Women’s water polo ““ After a tough NCAA semifinal loss, the Bruins will try to come back next month and kick off a winning year after losing standout player KK Clark.

Softball ““ Softball will try to come back after a tough loss in the NCAA Regionals last season.

Baseball ““ Baseball’s season will get going in February, and the team will work towards what could be their third College World Series appearance in four years ““ even after losing their outfield and many other starters to the MLB draft.

SOURCE: uclabruins.com

Compiled by Emma Coghlan, Bruin Sports senior staff

Email Emma at [email protected]

Emma Coghlan