W hotel in Westwood offers student discounts

The W Hotel in Westwood is offering discounted hotel rooms for UCLA students. (Courtesy of W Hotels)

Night Without Roommates Package

Students can rent a room at the W hotel in Westwood for $199. The discount is available Thursday through Sunday, for the rest of the year.

Package includes a complimentary movie and bowl of popcorn.

By Erin Donnelly

The W Los Angeles – Westwood hotel is now offering discounted room rates for UCLA students, though some said they feel the discount is not enough to accomodate a college student’s budget.

In late September, the W hotel located at 930 Hilgard Ave. began its “Night Without Roommates” package, which offers one of their suites for $199 a night to anyone with a BruinCard. Students can reserve rooms using the discount from Thursday to Sunday nights through the end of the year.

In addition to renting out the rooms, guests can watch a complimentary movie on their TV and get popcorn as part of the package, said Kate Jerkens, director of sales and marketing for the W hotel in Westwood and UCLA alumna.

Thirteen people have taken advantage of the offer thus far, she added.

The discounted rooms, which regularly cost up to $300, are meant to maintain positive relations between UCLA and the Hotel, Jerkens said.

“We get a lot of business from UCLA,” Jerkens said. “It’s something we can do to say “˜thank you.'”

Many UCLA students, however, said they don’t plan on using the discount.

“Anything over $20 is out of the question right now,” said Marissa Geer, a fifth-year linguistics and English student.

The offer was designed specifically for students to give them some time away from the stress of school and group living.

“I was a student (at UCLA) once; I know what its like,” Jerkens said, laughing. “Sometimes you need a quiet place to study or to be alone.”

Others said they would consider using the offer, not for its intended purpose, but as a different place to get together with friends.

“If people are looking to throw parties, maybe,” said Alexandra Mercado a first-year chemistry student.

“But as far as going as a single person to a hotel to avoid my roommates for $200, I think I’ll keep my $200.”

Contributing reports from Chandini Soni, Bruin contributor.

Erin Donnelly