Women’s golf heads to Georgia to face one of the toughest courses in the nation

UCLA Athletics – Women’s Golf at the Bruin Wave Invitational, El Caballero Country Club, Tarzana, CA.
120305_WGLF_0149.NEF
March 5th, 2012

Copyright Don Liebig/ASUCLA

FALL PREVIEW
Oct. 5-7
University of Georgia
No TV info

By Marion Patricio

When UCLA heads to Georgia this weekend, it’ll get a taste of what the end of the season holds.

Today, the Bruins enter the Fall Preview, which is played on the same course as the NCAA Championship.

“It’s one of the most solid tournaments of the fall, where a lot of the teams come together. The course out here is really nice but it’s also challenging, so it will definitely be a test for us Bruins,” sophomore Erynne Lee said.

Despite it being early in the season, the UCLA women’s golf team is traveling to one of the toughest courses in the nation.

After last week’s disappointing ninth place finish at the GolfWeek Invitational, the Bruins are optimistic about getting back on top, with season debuts from Lee and sophomore Kyle Roig. The duo was competing for the United States and Puerto Rico, respectively, at the World Amateurs in Turkey.

“I expect more than one of them will have strong finishes. They’re playing well,” said coach Carrie Forsyth.

Forsyth noted, though, that the two golfers are a little fatigued after their trip around the world.

Joining them will be redshirt senior Lee Lopez, who logged the Bruins’ highest finish last week in Colorado. With just one season left for Lopez, every swing matters, and she said she intends to make the most out of this year.

“I just want to really work on my game and just have fun with my team and our coaches. I wish I weren’t graduating. I just want to take advantage of this year and truly enjoy it,” Lopez said.

Junior Ani Gulugian and freshman Louise Ridderstrom will focus on improving their performances from last week as well.

The GolfWeek Invitational was Ridderstrom’s first collegiate tournament, and she hopes to see more action as the season progresses.

Forsyth feels confident about the strong team she is taking to Georgia. Despite senior Tiffany Lua’s absence due to a minor wrist injury, this group will have a chance to move up in the rankings.

“We have a team that is just as good, if not better, than last year’s team,” Forsyth said.

“I’m excited to see how it all pans out.”

Marion Patricio