Soundbites: "The Very Best"

(Courtesy of Moshi Moshi Records)

The Very Best
MTMTMK
Moshi Moshi
paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.png

By Phillip Horlings

The conundrum known as the sophomore album is a fascinating phenomenon to observe. Artists newly minted with the burden of expectation navigate a number of decisions while conceiving their second full-length album ““ which ideas are trash, which are worth a rehash? To stay the course stylistically or boldly break new ground?

The Very Best didn’t exactly do either with its sophomore effort “MTMTMK.” The duo, Malawi-born singer Esau Mwamwaya and Swedish producer Johan Hugo, first garnered attention by making African music infused with Euro-pop production on “Warm Heart of Africa.” The second album is a distinct reversal. Euro-pop dance tracks, now the core, are being accented with African timbres for a less nuanced, but still very fun, product.

“MTMTMK” unfortunately leads off with “Adani,” the best track on the album. Though the ensuing downward slope is not terribly steep, the album never matches the promising balance of “Adani.” In this song, African choirs and instruments weave deftly around screaming synthesizers and a commanding club beat for a very exciting listen.

“MTMTMK” fails to fulfill its early promise, though it does manage to serve up a few fun and effective dance tracks. In fact, the album is at its best when it is pumping out the summer thumpers ““ songs such as “Moto” and “Kondaine” smell like sunscreen and sandy beaches.

“Moto” in particular is too joyous to be called inconsequential. Sure, some music is meant to be an object of contemplation, but this song is meant to make you grin like an idiot and shake to it. Take note, top-40 radio, this stuff would be a step up from Pitbull and Chris Brown.

“Bantu” is another bright spot that will please the sonically curious, though it is the exception and not the rule on this album. The combination of an African male choir and soloists with swirling synths and distorted guitars sounds like Caribou went on a trip to South Africa with open ears. An apparent influence on this track and throughout the album is the Isicathamiya choirs of the Zulu people.

The other 10 tracks? They aren’t as much bad as they are unremarkable.

“MTMTMK” is not an album with an identity crisis ““ consistently strong dance jams were clearly the goal for The Very Best, and it delivered. The album flows well but is only occasionally truly stunning. It’s worth a purchase if you want to up your summer-rager repertoire, but other than that, see the tracks listed above for 99-cent suggestions in the iTunes store.

““ Phillip Horlings

Email Horlings at [email protected].

Phillip Horlings