That's a Wrap: _Celebrities’ heroic acts serve as reminders of humanity_

Courtesy of George Biard
Academy-award winning actor Dustin Hoffman joins Mila Kunis and Kate Winslet in the latest string of “heroic” Hollywood stars.

By Andrea Seikaly

Whenever media outlets post pictures of movie stars doing everyday things such as going to the grocery store or walking their dogs, it often reminds us that, despite their celebrity status, these public figures are not so different from the rest of us.

Recently, it seems like some famous movie actors and actresses have also made an effort to fulfill their civic duty, do the right thing or even go out of their way to help other people in a time of need. Of course, being in the right place at the right time is often what places them in these situations.

Their popularity and ability to spark the public’s interest also means that these acts of kindness and aid are documented. As a result, we get to know another side of the movie stars in addition to what we see on the big screen and the egos that we hear about in the media.

For example, last week it was reported that Academy Award-winning actor Dustin Hoffman came to the rescue of a 27 year-old man who suffered a heart attack while jogging in London’s Hyde Park. Hoffman, who was walking nearby, reportedly called 999 (England’s equivalent of 911), and waited until paramedics arrived and eventually revived the jogger.

While Hoffman has yet to comment on his involvement in the incident, I would hope that any bystander or witness to such an emergency would have taken action in the event of such an urgent situation. When Hollywood stars take the time to do something like this, their actions are often glorified above those of the average person.

Hoffman is not alone in being associated with a display of “heroic” behavior. Earlier this month, “Black Swan” actress Mila Kunis helped a worker at her house who was having a seizure. In April, actor Patrick Dempsey came to the rescue of a teenage driver whose car flipped and crashed on the actor’s front lawn. Ryan Gosling famously broke up a fight on the streets of New York City. One of the bravest examples of such heroic actions is probably that of Kate Winslet, who saved the life of billionaire Richard Branson’s 90 year-old mother by literally carrying her to safety after the woman’s house caught fire last August.

In the midst of numerous scandalous and bothersome stories about the demanding and diva-like antics of countless other movie stars, I think that these select few serve as a reminder that there are normal and even heroic actors out there as well. These are the people toward whom we should direct our attention. I don’t think that we should necessarily refer to them as heroes, though. While they may be among a small group of stars whose actions we hear about, everyday people do these types of things all the time.

Some might say that these random acts of kindness are not so random at all and appear to be publicity stunts aimed at catching the eye (or camera lens) of the paparazzi. I choose to take a more optimistic view of these situations. I think that these actors and actresses are probably just as sick and tired as we are of seeing negative images and stories in the news and are setting examples not just for other stars but for the rest of us as well, whether consciously or inadvertently.

The bottom line is that there is good and bad to be found anywhere, whether among Hollywood A-listers or everyday folks. By focusing on the positive and helpful actions of exemplary actors and actresses, hopefully less attention will be given to the negative behavior of other stars. Who knows, maybe they will even be inspired to follow suit and start doing some good too.

What do you think about “heroic” movie stars? Email Seikaly at [email protected]. “That’s a Wrap” runs every Monday.

Andrea Seikaly