Women's tennis hopes to stay consistent despite injuries to maintain its perfect record

Senior McCall Jones looks to carry over her play against Arizona to matches against Cal and Stanford this weekend.

By Susana Vasquez

The hard work that the UCLA women’s tennis team has put into improving and executing its game has been reflected in its overall 20-0 record.

However, this record didn’t come easily.

Aside from facing tough opponents, the Bruins had to overcome the injuries and the inconsistency that occur throughout the season.

Coach Stella Sampras Webster is aware of the momentum changes that happen, but she is optimistic that the sidelined players will peak at the right moment for the final games of the regular season to help the team gain confidence going into the championships.

“The season is such a roller coaster; it is tough, long … so the players that have been consistent are still consistent, and they have done really well, and I think that has helped us,” Sampras Webster said.

“But the ones that may have been struggling, I think that is where we can improve and hopefully we can get some wins in (other) spots to make us an even better team.”

Although she has been a consistent player throughout her matches, freshman Robin Anderson struggled against Arizona’s Lacey Smyth on Saturday. With the first set in her favor, Anderson let her guard down in the ninth game of the second set when she was serving 4-4.

Anderson faced three break points, giving Smyth the opportunity to go up 5-4 and serve for the second set.

But Anderson promptly redeemed herself and held her serve to eventually break Smyth’s serve to win the match.

“In that game the first two points I wasn’t serving very well, and I noticed that … when I was serving big I was getting either free points or getting short balls, so I needed to raise the level of my serve, and I did,” Anderson said.

“I served two aces and a couple of more un-returnables. After that I used the momentum and just kept playing well and pulled it out.”

Senior McCall Jones resumed play against the Wildcats, notching a three-set victory after having to sit out from singles action for the past three matches.

“Just being out there and being able to compete and having my arm starting to feel a little bit better has made me excited for the upcoming weekend,” Jones said.

Following the victory against Arizona, UCLA will look to add to its perfect record as it visits both Cal and Stanford this Friday and Saturday.

Meanwhile, sophomore Courtney Dolehide and senior Carling Seguso are coming back from injuries and starting to see more action.

Dolehide played doubles, while Seguso has seen action in singles and doubles.

Although it will take time for both players to adjust to the level of competition, Sampras Webster is happy to see Dolehide back in doubles.

“It’s going to get some time for (Dolehide) to feel more comfortable competing again. I think the more she plays, the more confident she’ll feel, so we are excited that (Dolehide) is back because that helps our team get stronger,” Sampras Webster said.

Susana Vasquez