Concert Review: 'Grey's Anatomy' stars perform live musical show at Royce Hall to benefit the Actors Fund

Courtesy of Scott Appell

By Lynn Chu

Grey’s Anatomy: The Songs Beneath the Show
March 18
Royce Hall
paw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pngpaw_t820.pnghalfpaw_t820.png

Teased by the familiar melody of smooth and muted percussion playing the “Grey’s Anatomy” theme song, the first few rows of VIPs threw up their hands in excitement, already predicting the high-energy atmosphere for the rest of the night.

Yesterday, the cast of “Grey’s Anatomy” brought a show to Royce Hall that not only revealed its adeptness to play surgeons on a medical drama series but also its talents as musicians who can sing live on stage. Proceeds from the show went toward the Actors Fund, an organization that provides opportunities for individuals working in all sectors of the entertainment industry.

Despite the fact that most of the cast performed, the evening was not without its timely moments of wit and humor provided by the hosts Eric Dane and Sandra Oh, whose comedic relief smoothly transitioned the show between the emotional ballads and off-beat pieces.

The evening began with a collaborative cover between Chandra Wilson, Kevin McKidd and Sara Ramirez. Although each of the three had their own distinctive style that did not always complement each other, the trio still managed to draw out the emotion of Snow Patrol’s “Chasing Cars,” one of the show’s most memorable songs, in the harmonies of their personal rendition and their energy on stage.

The show also showcased performers outside of the cast, as seen with the cover of Peter Bjorn and John’s “Young Folks” performed by Justin Chamber’s three daughters: Maya, Kaila and Eva. When these three took the stage as a singer and accompaniment, audience members were immediately blown away by Chambers’ daughter as she delivered a flawless performance with her unexpectedly mature and mesmerizing voice.

Perhaps the most memorable appearance was when Ingrid Michaelson sang “Keep Breathing,” a song she had written specifically for the show. Michaelson explained to the audience how her persistence eventually led to her song’s appearance on “Grey’s Anatomy,” later leading to further involvement with the show. Michaelson’s performance ultimately revealed how the Actors Fund can serve people who are not necessarily actors but musicians like herself who are trying to land their big break.

Although the evening showcased the multiple talents of “Grey’s Anatomy” in some ways that worked and others that didn’t, the performers’ dedication and energy on stage received a resounding standing ovation at the end of the night.

Lynn Chu