Veteran UCLA women's water polo players step up to new leadership roles on team

Senior utility KK Clark, who had 50 goals last season, and the Bruins earned a preseason No. 3 ranking.

By Andrew Erickson

First week is a time for students to get acquainted with new schedules, adjust to the expectations of new professors and become content once again with their scholarly duties.

The UCLA women’s water polo team already knows its expectations and is anything but content.

After posting an impressive 26-7 overall record last season and taking third place in the 2011 NCAA Tournament, the Bruins are working tirelessly to make adjustments as the 2012 season approaches.

“We just started the season “¦ so we’re just going over fundamentals, getting everyone back on the same page, and moving forward,” senior goalkeeper Caitlin Dement said. “Everyone’s working really hard and putting in their best effort.”

One adjustment the team must deal with in particular is a change in personnel. After losing eight seniors, including leading goal-scorer and All-NCAA Tournament first-team selection Priscilla Orozco, All-NCAA Tournament second-team selection defender Kelly Easterday and third-leading goal scorer Grace Reynolds, the team looks in a new direction for leadership.

“This is a totally different team from last year so that inherently has challenges,” coach Brandon Brooks said. “It is a big loss in experience, leadership and talent, but it’s also a great opportunity for the people who have been working behind those people the last two years “¦ to show what they have.”

Among those expected to make an impact this year are junior defender Natasha Schulman as well as sophomore utility Becca Dorst, who netted 13 goals last season. Senior utility KK Clark, a 50-goal scorer last season, and senior attacker Sarah Orozco, who played for Mexico in the Pan American Games this fall, both look to improve on solid junior seasons.

After splitting time with sophomore goalkeeper Sami Hill last season, Dement now looks to assert her dominance in goal full-time.

Despite losing so many seniors, the Bruins earned a No. 3 national preseason ranking, tied with crosstown foe USC, behind defending national champion Stanford and runner-up California.

“It’s an Olympic year, so schools like Cal and Stanford have a couple girls leaving for their national teams,” Clark said. “It levels the playing field a bit.”

The team is clearly not impressed with the ranking and believes there is still much work to be done.

“For me, it’s just a number,” Brooks said. “I think that stuff is more for the fans and other people. I’m just focused on getting us better and being as good as we can be.”

Being at the top of their game will be key for the Bruins as they face a difficult Mountain Pacific Sports Federation schedule beginning in early May. All eight MPSF teams are currently ranked in the top nine nationally and a coaches’ poll released this week predicts the Bruins to finish fourth in the conference.

Andrew Erickson | Editor in chief