Live Updates: Occupy UCLA

Read here for updates of the Occupy UCLA protest in Wilson Plaza. To see earlier coverage of the day’s events, click here.

5:30 a.m.
Police arrest 14 protesters on charges of unlawful assembly and failure to disperse.

12:03 a.m.

University curfew now in place. No sign of UCPD.

10:20 p.m.

The crowd is singing along to “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” and clapping along to guitar. Spoken word performers take to the mic.

10:15 p.m.

Twenty-five people are currently signed up to camp out in Wilson Plaza overnight.

10:10 p.m.

“Instead of imagining our futures, we students are trying to figure out how to pay off our debt,” Jasmine Parniani, a third-year mathematics economics student, said to the growing crowd.

10 p.m.

Fifty more protesters have joined the crowd, upping the count to about 200 people.

9:55 p.m.

Organizers are numbering tents as part of registration. People sign up at the check-in booth for tent space.

9:47 p.m.

Organizers are telling people to write a legal hotline number on their hand to call in case they are arrested.

9:18 p.m.

About 150 students and a handful of faculty are seated in the center of Wilson Plaza for the second general assembly of the day. No sign of UCPD yet.

7:25 p.m.

An emergency general assembly meeting is now planned for 9 p.m., according to the Occupy UCLA Twitter feed. The tweet also says police are expected to come at 10:30 p.m.

7:10 p.m.

A protester asked a group of 10 people if they were willing to get arrested. Knowing their information ahead of time would make it easier for everyone, he said.

One protester raised her hand.

“At this point, the only thing we students can do to fight back is exercise our right to free speech. … If it comes down to being arrested, I feel like it’s the least I could do,” said fourth-year sociology student Michelle Bacani.

7:05 p.m.

A group of about 10 protesters leave to go recruit students from the dining halls – Occupy the Hill, the general assembly subcommittee is called.

7 p.m.

A group of 10 students prepare to recruit more supporters from the Hill.

Joseph Silva, a third-year history student, yells “mic check,” to the crowd of 20 to 30 protesters. Protesters chant back “mic check.” It’s a technique used by Occupy protesters so the whole group can hear a speaker.

“Reconvene at Kaufman if you would like to come and do outreach on the Hill,” Silva said, referring to Kaufman Hall. “Please be there immediately. Thank you.”

5:30 p.m.

A few students are seated on towels in the center of the tent circle. Many are scrolling the Twitter feed, reading updates on a recent police raid. Most protesters have left for dinner.

A discussion breaks out in the group comparing the Occupy UCLA movement to Occupy Cal.

“We’re just wondering, why can’t we have a strong, committed Occupy movement like Berkeley?” said Nikki Jansen, a fourth-year economics student.

A general assembly will take place at 8 p.m., the second of the day.

Compiled by Kate Parkinson-Morgan, Bruin reporter. With contributing reports by Loic Hostetter, Naheed Rajwani and Brendan Jackson, Bruin senior staff.