Summer kicks off a wave of free concert series in Los Angeles

Courtesy of Skirball Cultural Center

By Brittany Taylor

Thanks to a medley of free upcoming concert series, music lovers spending the summer in Los Angeles do not have to look far to find a show that best fits their tastes. Here are some of the free concert series happening this summer in Los Angeles.

Twilight Dance Series
Thursdays through Sept. 8, 7 p.m.
Santa Monica Pier
The Twilight Dance Series is in its 27th season and will feature different musical themes every week. Previous themes have included ’80s Pop Rock, the SaMo Mambo and Australia Rocks the Pier. Attendees have also caught some Reggae/Ska performances by The Slackers, Starpool, The Bad Bad Things, Olio and Down Home.

Pershing Square Summer Concerts
Thursdays and Saturdays through Aug. 20, 8 p.m.
532 S. Olive St.
The Downtown Stage will be open to local artists and musicians in this concert series. Patrons can bring lawn chairs and snacks to save some money and guarantee a seat. Listen to bands such as electro-rock band Suddyn or folk, swing and rock act Michelle Shocked. Movies play at the Downtown Stage every Friday night.

Farmers Market: Summer Music Series
Thursdays and Fridays through Sept. 9, 7 p.m.
6333 W. 3rd St.
The Farmers Market concert series offers jazz, blues, rock and Latin music on the West Patio. Every Thursday, jazz musicians like the Ernie Watts Quartet and the Otis Hayes Quartet will perform. There will be blues, rock and Latin musicians on Friday nights.

Hollywood & Highland Summer Jazz Concert Series
Tuesdays through Aug. 30, 7 p.m.
6801 Hollywood Blvd.
The summer jazz series will be hosting a number of artists such as Marcia Ball, Duke Robillard and Brent Canter. Anyone that is 21 years old or older can also drink samples of wine with a $10 donation, and the proceeds will go to Project Angel Food.

Skirball Cultural Center: Sunset Concerts
Thursdays through Aug. 25, 8 p.m.
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Some of the acts for the series include rumba flamenco artist Nuriya, Chimurenga artist Thomas Mapfumo and Bhangra/New Orleans jazz band Red Baraat. Patrons can either bring their own food or purchase food from a buffet or food carts. Making reservations for the buffet at Zeidler’s Café guarantees priority seating for the concert. Attending the concerts also permits the audience access into the museum’s galleries.

Culver City Music Festival
Thursdays through Aug. 25, 7 p.m.
Culver City ““ City Hall Courtyard
Entering its 17th year, the Culver City Music Festival will feature eight nights of performances. Acts will include the 4 Lads from Liverpool, a Beatles tribute band that has performed across the globe dressed up as members of the Beatles. The festival will end with a conga drum performance by Latin jazz artist Poncho Sanchez.

The Getty Center: Saturdays off the 405
One Saturday every month, 6 p.m.
The Getty Center
Saturdays off the 405 presents artists such as Afro-Caribbean musician Lord Huron, as well as DJs such as DJ Boom Bip and DJ Paul V. Attendees that arrive to the Getty early can also explore the museum’s galleries before the show begins. Past performances have included bands such as Best Coast, Dengue Fever and Tom Tom Club.

Brittany Taylor