Letters to the Editor: Volunteer Center excited for input

By David Bloome

On Monday, the Daily Bruin published an article titled “Students can now nominate Volunteer Day 2011 sites” (News, May 16).

In the past, we have worked closely with student government and other campus partners to identify project locations. We are excited this year to expand student input.

For the last two years, the feedback we have received from our community partners has been outstanding.

The last two Volunteer Days mobilized 11,000 students, faculty, staff and alumni all over Los Angeles to schools, hospitals, shelters, parks and dozens of other organizations.

These efforts made a positive difference in the lives of those less fortunate in our community while saving tens of thousands of dollars for these important community programs.

The logistics and teamwork involved in the largest single-day new student event in the nation is remarkable.

UCLA can take great pride in Volunteer Day, which has captured the imagination of universities all over the country.

At the same time, we have a lot to learn and deeply appreciate all those Bruins who have stepped forward as volunteers to help us improve the event.

Bloome is the campaign director for the UCLA Volunteer Center.