UCLA announces three sports centers to host 2011-2012 home basketball games

The men’s basketball team home game venues have been announced. They will play 14 games at the L.A Memorial Sports Arena, four games at the Honda Center and one game at Citizens Business Bank Arena.

After surveying season ticket holders and members of The Den in February, UCLA announced its decision regarding where it will play its home basketball games in the 2011-2012 season Friday.

Fourteen UCLA home games will be played at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena with four home games to be played at the Honda Center in Anaheim. The lone exhibition game will be played at Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario.

“We are happy to announce that dates and sites for our “˜Bruin Road Show’ have been finalized,” UCLA Athletic Director Dan Guerrero said in a press release. “The leadership groups at all three facilities have been very accommodating and we will do everything possible to make this a positive experience for our fan base.”

The survey contained six possible venues. The three sites that will not be hosting the “Bruin Road Show” are Staples Center, Rabobank Arena in Bakersfield and the Valley View Casino Center in San Diego. Because NBA and NHL schedules have not yet been released, Staples Center could not commit to any home dates for UCLA.

The John R. Wooden Classic ““ traditionally a non-conference matchup held at the Honda Center ““ will continue next season in Anaheim. It will, however, come in the form of a conference matchup with Arizona on Jan. 5.

According to a statement released by the school, UCLA is currently researching round-trip busing to all games to not only students, but all season ticket holders.

The student busing system will mirror the Rooter Bus system that transports students to the Rose Bowl, but will be complimentary.

The Bruins are ranked No. 17 in ESPN’s early projections for next season. They lost the services of last season’s third-leading scorer Tyler Honeycutt to the NBA draft and potentially could lose rising senior Malcolm Lee if he chooses to forgo his senior year for the draft.

Nonetheless, North Carolina transfers David and Travis Wear will join the team after sitting out last season because of NCAA transfer rules.

“We’ve talked all year about taking our show on the road and I’m happy everything is set,” coach Ben Howland said in a statement. “The upcoming season will be unique for everyone involved, but I am happy that we are playing most of our games at one facility, and I know that our fans will continue to support us wherever we play.”