Men’s golf places fourth at Nevada invitational

By Manny Redruello

The No. 3 UCLA men’s golf team finished fourth at this weekend’s Southern Highland Collegiate Invitational hosted by the University of Nevada Las Vegas.

The Bruins got off to a slow start, posting a 301 (+13) at the Southern Highlands Country Club on Friday, their highest score of the three-round tournament.

UCLA improved to fire a 283 (-5) on Saturday and a 292 (+4) on Sunday, but it was not enough, as the team lost to first-place Oklahoma State by 13 strokes.

Freshman Patrick Cantlay was the top finisher for UCLA. Cantlay, who finished third in the field of 80 golfers with a tournament score of 213 (-3), shot a tournament-best 67 (-5) on Saturday to help the Bruins climb back up the leaderboard.

Senior Connor Driscoll and freshman Anton Arboleda also placed in the top 25 for the Bruins, finishing 17th and 21st, respectively. Driscoll shot 222 (+6) over the weekend while Arboleda shot 223 (+7).

Junior Gregor Main finished 36th with a three-day total of 226 (+10), and sophomore Pontus Widegren did not place after not recording a score for Sunday’s round.

Junior Morgan Hoffmann of Oklahoma State earned the individual victory with a score of 206 (-10) for the weekend.

The Bruins will return to competition on Sunday for the Callaway Collegiate Match Play Championship hosted by Georgia Tech at Hawks Ridge Golf Course in Ball Ground, Ga.

The tournament will mark the Bruins’ first match play event as a team this year.

Compiled by Manny Redruello, Bruin Sports contributor.

Manny Redruello