Chancellor Block declares support as California DREAM act approaches legislative action

Chancellor Gene Block speaks at California DREAM Act rally.

By Sean Greene

Alongside students holding up signs reading, “We are human” and “Education not deportation,” Chancellor Gene Block and members of the undergraduate student government showed support for the California DREAM Act Monday in Bruin Plaza.

The DREAM Act, which consists of two bills in the California state legislature, would allow undocumented students access to financial aid and privately funded scholarships.

In his address to about 75 students and members of the press, Block said the California DREAM Act legislation is overdue.
“(Undocumented students) excel despite the many obstacles that are presented to them,” he said. “(The DREAM Act) has my strongest support. Let’s get moving.”

The event was organized by the office of Christopher Santos, executive vice president of Undergraduate Students Association Council.

Tomorrow, the California state legislature’s subcommittee on higher education will review Assembly Bills 130 and 131 ““ the bills that comprise the CA DREAM Act.

Before the act goes to a vote in the entire assembly, the subcommittee must approve the bills.

Block said after the rally that although he will not be able to attend the hearings, Executive Vice Chancellor Scott Waugh will testify to the committee.

Block’s appearance and Waugh’s testimony reiterates the importance of the DREAM Act to lawmakers in Sacramento, said Phil Hampton, a university spokesman.

Ernesto Zumaya, a fourth-year English student and member of the EVP office, said several UCLA students and alumni will also attend the hearing.

“It is important for us as undocumented students to be present when the legislation is heard,” he said.

Sean Greene