Men’s track and field splits up to compete in various last chance NCAA qualifiers

Redshirt senior vaulter Greg Woepse will compete in an NCAA last chance qualifying meet at the University of Washington this weekend.

Men's track & Field

Alex Wilson invitational
Friday and Saturday
South Bend, Ind.
Follow live stats on und.com

The Bruins split up for the Alex Wilson Invitational (Friday and Saturday) and the Virginia Tech Final Qualifier (Saturday).

By Eric Peck

It may be splitting up, but the UCLA men’s track and field team has a singular focus.

This weekend, select members of the squad will spread out across the country to compete in NCAA-authorized last chance qualifying meets.

In their final attempt to qualify for NCAA championships, the UCLA athletes that are traveling will do everything in their power to post top marks and secure their spots.

The distance medley relay team and the rest of the distance runners will compete at the Alex Wilson Invitational at Notre Dame (South Bend, Ind.), the throwers will travel to the Virginia Tech Final Qualifier (Blacksburg, Va.) and the vaulters will return to the University of Washington in Seattle.

Coach Mike Maynard emphasized the importance of the final qualifiers and the level of competition that would be present.

According to Maynard, Notre Dame has garnered a reputation for hosting the top distance runners in the country, and the same applies for Virginia Tech and Washington.

“If you’re a distance runner, you’re probably going to Notre Dame,” Maynard said. “All the best in the country will go there. … This year we didn’t have Cory Primm running with us to qualify (in the DMR), so we’re going back this weekend to run him and to try to hit the (automatic qualifier) with 9:31.”

As Maynard mentioned, Primm is a crucial member of the DMR team.
The senior All-American, who has already qualified for NCAA championships, didn’t travel or compete last weekend. Maynard views the decision to rest Primm as a precautionary measure to ensure the senior would be ready to compete at the NCAA Championships in the coming weeks.

“I wouldn’t even say it was to the point of an injury; we wanted to do the right thing and let him rest a little bit,” Maynard said.

“It was hard to do for the team, but it was the right thing to do for Cory.”

Other athletes looking to strengthen their current positions include freshman thrower Alec Faldermeyer and redshirt senior vaulter Greg Woepse. Both have had success so far this season, and both are on the short list of candidates for NCAA Championships in their respective events.

Assistant coach Anthony Curran was with Woepse in Seattle last week and is optimistic that Woepse can qualify this weekend.

“There’s only one or two guys in the nation that can jump over 18 feet, and I think (Woepse) is one of them,” Curran said.

“The door’s open to get into the top eight, so we’re viewing this meet as nationals. We’re looking forward to it.”

Eric Peck