All-female a cappella group Random Voices set to perform at Fowler Out Loud

UCLA’s all-female a cappella group Random Voices will be performing at the Fowler Museum as a part of the Fowler Out Loud series.

Courtesy of MONICA SANTOS

Random voices
Today, 6 p.m.
Fowler courtyard, FREE

By Courtney Whitlock

In 1999, Molly Jones and a few other female singers thought there was something missing in the a cappella world at UCLA. The answer to this problem was to start the first ever all-female a cappella group on campus. Now, thanks to Jones, Random Voices is celebrating their 11th year as a campus group.

The group is made up of 14 members, with each belonging to vocal sections of bass, alto, soprano or percussion. While Random Voices members share a common affinity for music, they pursue varied areas of study in both the sciences and humanities.

Padmini Cheruvu, Random Voice’s California A Cappella Festival director and fourth-year microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics student, said that the mixture of academic interests by the members involved inspired the name “Random Voices” when the group was formed.

Cheruvu and the members of Random Voices will perform today in the Fowler Museum courtyard at 6 p.m. as part of the Fowler Out Loud series. They will sing eight of their songs including “Parachutes” by Ingrid Michaelson, “Right Here” by Brandy and “Speechless” by Lady Gaga. Natalie Moyce, business director of Random Voices and third-year global studies student, said this performance was a chance for the group to show its new talent.

“This is our first solo concert where we will have all of our four new girls perform. Three of them have solos,” Moyce said.

Thus far, Random Voices has released five albums, with their most recent album “Out,” which was released in 2009. Tiffany Ou, music director and third-year music student, said the group is currently preparing for recording and hopes to release an album next fall.

“I really want the album to encompass all the work we have done in the last two years and show how the group has grown from 2009. It will not only be an album of our music but a documentation of … how we have come together as not just a group but friends,” Ou said.

Random Voices is performing at this year’s Spring Sing as they have in previous years. Cheruvu said that last year’s performance was her favorite memory from her time with Random Voices.

“It is so dark on stage, and you are just standing there, waiting for the lights to come on, really nervous and excited … you are performing for 1,000 people. It was just crazy,” Cheruvu said. “As soon as we were done we wished that we could all run back and do it again. It went by so fast.”

Last year at Spring Sing, the group performed a medley using a number of Destiny’s Child songs, including “Say My Name” and “Survivor.” However, Ou did not disclose the name of the song and said that this year, Random Voices was going in a new direction with their pick.

“We wanted to take something that everyone knows and put a new spin on it. It is usually a really fast-paced song, but we are doing something entirely different, something artsy and ethereal,” Ou said.

According to Ou, the group has many different sounding voices, from powerful and pop-like to smooth and soulful.

“We are always looking for songs that showcase the variety of voices we have and also just to keep our concert sets interesting,” Ou said.

Since their formation, Random Voices annually hosts the California A Cappella Festival at UCLA. This year’s event will take place April 23 at Ackerman Grand Ballroom with two performances and is free for UCLA students. Cheruvu said it is a great way to exhibit a cappella groups from all over California.

While each member of Random Voices plans to pursue different careers, there is a common desire among a number of the members to continue their involvement in music for the rest of their lives.

“I hope I will be singing somewhere … even if it is in the shower, I will probably still be doing it,” said Monica Manrique, a second-year biology student.

Courtney Whitlock