Student sanctuaries: The Castle

Read the rest of the stories from Over the Hill

Student Legal Services helps students be savvy for any legal situations that may arise while living in the apartments

1970s bring a surge of students to Westwood, completely transforming the North Village

Start the apartment search with these interesting locations Going beyond the standard two-bedroom apartment, some student residences have character. While some places are structurally distinct, others offer a sense of community.

South of Wilshire

Levering Heights

The Chapel

By Kylie Reynolds

At the corner of Midvale Avenue and Ophir Drive stands an apartment complex with a name that conjures images of medieval fortresses in northern Europe, not Westwood’s North Village.

“It’s sometimes called the White Castle because there is the Pink Palace,” said Ashley Mudge, a fourth-year English student who has lived in the complex since July.

Built in the 1920s, The Castle is known today for its faux spires and wrought iron gates, which contrast with other apartments along the same block.

Mudge said the apartment’s recognition among students contributes to its popularity.

“When we invite friends over and we say we are in The Castle, they immediately know where we live,” she said.

A high brick fence covered in ivy surrounds a communal pool and patio. Mudge’s apartment is among a few of the six apartments in the complex whose front door is accessible only by going through the patio, creating a sociable atmosphere between The Castle’s neighbors.

“The way it is laid out makes it easy to be friendly,” said Hilary Taylo

Kylie Reynolds