Student sanctuaries: South of Wilshire

Courtesy of Lois Lee

Read the rest of the stories from Over the Hill

Student Legal Services helps students be savvy for any legal situations that may arise while living in the apartments

1970s bring a surge of students to Westwood, completely transforming the North Village

Start the apartment search with these interesting locations Going beyond the standard two-bedroom apartment, some student residences have character. While some places are structurally distinct, others offer a sense of community.

Levering Heights

The Castle

The Chapel

By Shoshee Jau

In The Plaza Apartments on Wellworth Avenue, Lois Lee said she rarely needs to file work orders for apartment maintenance.

“Once, I noticed that the light bulb outside my door was out, and the next day it was replaced, without a request,” the fourth-year global studies student said. “People come and sweep my balcony weekly, and they regularly wash our windows for us and repaint the tiles to make sure they’re shiny.”

While many students choose to live in the North Village area, Lee said she opted to live in an apartment south of Wilshire Boulevard because of the quiet and comfort.

“The apartments north of Wilshire are older and more crowded and closer to school, so there are more parties Thursday and Friday nights,” she said.

“Some people say it’s more expensive, but our place is bigger compared to others who pay the same price.”

Lee’s two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment unit also includes access to the complex’s fitness center and a rooftop jacuzzi that surveys Westwood from above.

Fourth-year political science student Wendy Juh, who lives in Lee’s complex, said she spends most of her time south of Wilshire. Because she does not have a car, she relies on the free BruinBus shuttle service to bring her to and from classes.

“We have a shuttle stop two minutes away from our apartment, and it’s really convenient to just ride it to North Campus,” Juh said. “On weekends, I just go home to get groceries.”

Because the BruinBus shuttle does not operate late at night or on weekends, Juh said she seldom leaves her apartment area. She said she finds it just as easy to have a social life away from campus, especially because most of her friends also live south of Wilshire.

Lee, on the other hand, said she drives to her friends’ apartments in North Village or stays on campus longer to keep in touch with friends.

“I usually ask them to have lunch with me on campus,” she said. “I cherish my friendships, (knowing) that they’re making an effort, and I am actively calling or texting them,” she said.

Most of the tenants in her complex are older working people or married couples with children, Lee said. As a result, The Plaza is generally quiet, providing the ideal study environment for her and her apartment mates.

“Especially during midterms and finals, we’re out in the living room together, and it’s a motivational sort of thing,” Lee said. “Everyone’s studying, and my neighbors are quiet and working.”

Shoshee Jau