China Care Bruins' FUSE will shed light on issues pertaining to Asian American, multicultural backgrounds

By Metta-Marie Kongsved

Today from 6-8:30 p.m. at Kerckhoff Grand Salon, the China Care Bruins will host its third annual awareness night, FUSE.

Each year, China Care Bruins hosts an event with the purpose of shedding light on various issues pertaining to Chinese and Asian American culture.

The purpose for today’s event is to cultivate discussion on cultural identity issues, not merely relating to the Asian American community, but to all students who identify with a multicultural background.

The event will feature musical performances by singer-songwriter Jane Lui and singer Ryan Huang, as well as DJ Dr. Weissberg.

Lui’s soulful, husky voice has earned her a big following on YouTube, and she has opened for acts such as Jason Mraz and Kate Earl.

Fiona Poon, a fourth-year linguistics and psychology student and president of the China Care Bruins, first met Lui at a show in Hong Kong upon a friend’s recommendation.

“She is one of the most down-to-earth musicians I have ever met, and her style is so unique. She utilizes everything from the piano to wine glasses to the glock to make her music fun and different,” Poon said.

Another musician who will be playing is UCLA alumnus Ryan Huang. He is an up-and-coming singer and guitarist who first discovered his passion for music while attending UCLA. Like Lui, he has a growing audience on YouTube.

DJ Dr. Weisberg is an established act in the San Francisco underground scene. At the FUSE event, Dr. Weisberg will team up with DJ Bendi, and together they will be spinning electronica tunes mixed with house and tech-house music.

Admittance is free.

Metta-Marie Kongsved