Question CALPIRG’s pleas for money

THE ISSUE:

CALPIRG canvassers are back on campus looking for money to fund their local chapter.

OUR STANCE:

There's plenty that students can do to avoid their requests for you to dig deeper into your pocket to fund their activities. Their requests can become annoying rather quickly.

Correction: The original version of this editorial contained an error. It costs $10 to pledge CALPIRG for one quarter.

They’re back on campus. Old students have learned to avoid them; new students are confused by their odd cheeriness. We’re talking about canvassers for the California Public Interest Research Group who are all over campus this week looking for students willing to sign off on a $10 charge to their BAR account.

They have been touting the same mantra as long as anyone can remember: 15 percent of the student body must pledge $10 to support CALPIRG’s lobbying for some issue of interest to students. This time, their focus is educational affordability.

We’re not so much bothered by their demand for us to take yet another fee in our skyrocketing educational costs.

Their volunteers certainly have some of the right ideas: Democracy needs people standing up for what they believe in.

Student interests needs to be fought for. But the execution is all wrong. Who is to believe that by parting with $10 a quarter, he or she is helping fight for his or her interests?

Rather, students who want their interests represented should not be touting bright stickers and clipboards listing the policy changes they claim to have promoted.

Getting students to care about California policy isn’t going to happen in a breath-long CALPIRG pitch that probably ends with the earbuds going back in, or in a temporary $10 leave-me-alone.

We’re sure this isn’t true in large instances. For those who find a niche in CALPIRG, getting involved in something you’re passionate about is what college is about ““ especially if you feel you’re affecting policy.

But the ambush tactics don’t reach the end they’re meant to, they simply allow CALPIRG to reach the required 15 percent pledge rate to remain on campus as the orange-stickers that stalk you on Bruin Walk. They allow our BAR accounts to be populated with $10 CALPIRG pledges, but we don’t see where that money goes.

One of the organization’s claimed successes, the halting of Proposition 23, intended to suspend state air pollution laws, was not due to some students sacrificing $10 a quarter to a public interest group. It was defeated because of a huge range of negative outcomes and very wide disapproval by Californians.

There is plenty students can do to avoid the persistent cheeriness of the CALPIRG volunteers.
At no time do we suggest being rude to the volunteers. Rather, we encourage students to be honest. Don’t just sign off $10 to appease somebody so they will stop bothering you. Be honest with the canvassers.

Question their methods in a productive manner and sincerely communicate that you do not want to donate money.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the editorial board.